My equipment sucks. Help?

For that sort of stuff, check out the guy who records most of AA! - Joey. There's loads of stickies and posts by him on this forum.
Also - the guys have mentioned great amp sims / impulses.. so make use of them.

Get Reaper.. it's the way to roll!

To answer your question though: lots of bands still use real mics and amps. I doubt for that style they do though..

For that sort of stuff, check out the guy who records most of AA! - Joey. There's loads of stickies and posts by him on this forum.
Also - the guys have mentioned great amp sims / impulses.. so make use of them.

Get Reaper.. it's the way to roll!

To answer your question though: lots of bands still use real mics and amps. I doubt for that style they do though..

Yea i know who Joey Sturgis is. i love his work. some bands he records i listen to only for production value. but if i can get the same results and learn a skill thats important ill do it.

Well I think Joey Sturgis uses Pod Farm which would make his albums not miked amps. Not sure about Woe is Me though. But just because they don't mic amps doesn't mean you can't and still get a smiliar or better sound. Just experiment. And yes, building a new PC is the way to go! It will be cheapest and you will be able to load it up with RAM.

Well I think Joey Sturgis uses Pod Farm which would make his albums not miked amps. Not sure about Woe is Me though. But just because they don't mic amps doesn't mean you can't and still get a smiliar or better sound. Just experiment. And yes, building a new PC is the way to go! It will be cheapest and you will be able to load it up with RAM.

They recorded it Chango Studios with Cam Mizell. Joey just mastered the album.

Hence why I said I wasn't sure, I don't know how Chango runs their operation. I suppose you could always contact them and ask, worst case scenario they don't respond.

Nah dude. Cant do that. Ive experienced the worst case scenario. I asked and they immediately sent over a large black guy and he stabbed me in the chest and took my refrigerator. I learned my lesson.

Just searched and found that Cam mics up AT LEAST a 5150 and a Deizel. i didnt dig any deeper. I love Woe, Is Me's guitar tones although i think theyre a little low in the mix so i may break out the 6505 and see if i can get a similar sound. any mic suggestions?

Edit: In addition to mic suggestions, i have another question. Ive done alot of searches and its all been opinion but should i be using monitors? Im using a Logitech X series 5.1 set of pc speakers. all my mixes sound great on them which shouldnt be. Leads me to believe one of two things. either im the shit, which is highly unlikely, or the more probably, my speakers are what makes everything sound good.

As in you need a set of decent quality studio monitors. PC speakers and the like should be used as reference material only. And if you plan on miking a cab then go get an SM57 hands down. You should try searching the forum, a lot of this info can be found in other threads.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/650178-short-how-do-mic-cabz-_o.html

Monitors I suppose will depend on your budget, there are decent monitors in most price ranges, but obviously you get what you pay for so the more you have to spend the better you can do.

not sure about their newest album. but August Burns Red uses real everything.
I'm not 100% sure about what's going on with the guitars in their last album, but from all that I've researched, they take a very real approach. down to the drums.

Attack Attack however, looks more like Pod Farm & Slate.

both of which have very valid sounds.
I suggest learning both and using both.

not sure about their newest album. but August Burns Red uses real everything.
I'm not 100% sure about what's going on with the guitars in their last album, but from all that I've researched, they take a very real approach. down to the drums.

Attack Attack however, looks more like Pod Farm & Slate.

both of which have very valid sounds.
I suggest learning both and using both.

I plan on it. i feel like miking is going to be useful if i persue this as a business and Slates a big deal to me. Why? all of this is to record my own stuff and my drummer went full retard a long time ago.

This is going to come out sounding like im challenging you but im not. What bands of the scene metal persuasion use real amp micing? bands like attack attack, woe is me, misery signals, august burns red? im just looking for a band that i like with a great tone that comes from a real amp and i honestly dont know who does and doesnt do that. im a kid haha.

Oh its not a challenge, every band Andy Sneap has produced has been real amps. Jason Suecof as well.

Hmm lets go down the list of bands with great guitar tones that use real amps:

Arch Enemy
Nevermore
Killswitch Engage
Soilwork
Testament
AILD
Devil Wears Prada
All That Remains
Underoath
In Flames
Bullet For My Valentine
Dillinger Escape Plan

The list goes on and on .....

Oh and Clockwork thanks for linking to my vid :)

Mic up a amp and a cab

How do mic amp?

2-fail-1.jpg

Oh its not a challenge, every band Andy Sneap has produced has been real amps. Jason Suecof as well.

Hmm lets go down the list of bands with great guitar tones that use real amps:

Arch Enemy
Nevermore
Killswitch Engage
Soilwork
Testament
AILD
Devil Wears Prada
All That Remains
Underoath
In Flames
Bullet For My Valentine
Dillinger Escape Plan

The list goes on and on .....

Oh and Clockwork thanks for linking to my vid :)

I thought TDWP used Joeys pod farm setup?

@Guru, no problem man, its a good video, I think its a good first watch for people that want to start miking cabs.

@pdennis Yeah last time i talked to Jeremy he said they used Pod farm, but I think maybe on Dear Love a Beautiful Discord they miked amps? Not 100% sure though. And either way I wouldn't worry about it, if you want to mic a cab then mic a cab, cabs can sound better than amp sims and some amp sims can sound better than cabs, pick the one you want and go with it, I promise you that you can get any sound Devil Wears Prada is using by miking a cab even if they used pod farm. A lot of recording is personal preference and just finding what works for the sound you want.