Putting Together my First Recording Studio

alot of people here talk shit.

we have all been at this stage.
why make this guy feel un-liked?
none of you guys are professional enough to make a person feel bad.
the biggest talent in this business is personality and the ability to like and be liked from anyone and everyone.

didn't read this whole thread, not sure if someone mentioned it already, but regardless of interface the best way to record a pod is just connect it via USB and use it as an ASIO device.

didn't read this whole thread, not sure if someone mentioned it already, but regardless of interface the best way to record a pod is just connect it via USB and use it as an ASIO device.

I heard joey uses it spdif. I don't have one so I don't know but if you have another interface wouldnt it get annoying to have to constantly switch drivers?

I think REAPER is by far the easiest to operate and set up.
It doesn't get any better for a beginner.
If you start your workflow in REAPER, not being used to anything else it will kick a lot of ass.

But if your wanna be leet just go for PT9 already ... :D

I've been using Studio One a LOT lately. In fact it's fast becoming my main daw. It's just really easy to use and doesn't get in the way. It cannot do some other stuff very easily - but that other stuff ... I use Reaper!! :D

Just an update, still doing pretty good with Reaper. I still haven't got everything working right yet, but I'm sure I will soon.

I'm using the SPDIF connection from my POD HD500 to my Saffire Pro 24 interface, and then Firewire into my computer into Reaper and it works perfectly. I'm not sure if I have my routing exactly right but it's working. At this point I don't see any reason for me to use anything besides Reaper, maybe I'm too much of a n00b to know any better though.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here and helped me out, I really do appreciate all of you! :cool:

People seem to use Reaper + something else for this or that, including mastering, why is that? Is not a complete DAW? Is it not designed for mastering and such?

Same with many other things: guitar players not sticking to just one axe, engineers using different types of compressors or translators looking up words in various dictionaries.

Each piece of software is as complete as it gets. But still the same (or similar) features may have a different workflow or they're a tad differently executed, even though the results could be identical.

That's why the same person may track live instruments with Reaper on a laptop, mix with ProTools in his studio, then master with Steinberg's Wavelab.

The key is to figure out what works for you, practice and experiment. Find your own tools and use them to your benefit.

Same with many other things: guitar players not sticking to just one axe, engineers using different types of compressors or translators looking up words in various dictionaries.

Each piece of software is as complete as it gets. But still the same (or similar) features may have a different workflow or they're a tad differently executed, even though the results could be identical.

That's why the same person may track live instruments with Reaper on a laptop, mix with ProTools in his studio, then master with Steinberg's Wavelab.

The key is to figure out what works for you, practice and experiment. Find your own tools and use them to your benefit.

+1

You may decide down the road that you like editing guitars or drums in a different DAW. You may not. Some of us just get picky with age/experience. I personally use Reaper at home and Pro Tools HD in the studio. (Not my studio or rig. I just use it. :D) I can't afford everything I'd need to use Pro Tools at home. Reaper is so customizable though, that I've been able to make the "back-and-forth" work just fine. It really just comes down to your personal preferences after you've had some experience with different software/gear.

Well, at this early stage of my adventure I don't know enough about this all to know the differences much anyway. For right now I just want to learn Reaper and do everything I want to with it, which from what everyone has said can be done.

you will notice a deifference when you try different DAWs and find that you are able to edit faster with one than the other, when that happens you will prefer to go with the DAW that has a faster workflow for each step of the process.

you will notice a deifference when you try different DAWs and find that you are able to edit faster with one than the other, when that happens you will prefer to go with the DAW that has a faster workflow for each step of the process.

Which one do you think has the faster work flow, and where does Reaper place?

I am a hardcore Sonar guy, I think the editing is amazing, especially for MIDI, which seems so much easier than Reaper and Cubase. I have tired editing in Cibase and Reaper and its jsut not as fast for me, but it really comes down to preference and changes form person to person. You just have to find which one is faster of you.

In my experience once you get the basics of any DAW down they all can be pretty fast, I think it's just a mix of personal preference and practice. I found reaper a little troublesome at first, but after a month of messing with it I think I had it down. Just work through all the difficulties and it should run pretty fast/smoothly :)

People on the Cockos forums are pretty helpful too when it comes to Reaper stuff.

If you like Reaper so far, just stick with it and learn it for now. It can handle anything you want to do, and a person's DAW is all a matter of personal taste anyway.

So far I really like Reaper, but I really don't have enough experience with anything else to say if it would be my favorite or not, but so far I have no complaints, and it runs beautifully on my system.

I just need to practice and play around with it a lot for a while and I'll get it down.

I've made my first real trial recording today, which was a huge rush! :headbang: