My experience seeing Opeth in Calgary

Testamentt

Dec 23, 2003
Wow, like I thought.... it turned out to be the greatest night of my life.

I'll try and do a little review here:

Moonspell opened up, while I was in the back drinking a beer. Eitherway, once the opening melody for "In and Above Men" started up, I chugged down that beer and ran to the front, which I like to call "the kiddy nu-metal section." The smell of puberty was rampant in the University, last night. On with the review... Moonspell was amazing, I only know their latest album inside and out... and they played my favorite songs off the album. Every song was played well and the group put on a very good show.

Someone asked for the setlist for Moonspell... sorry but, all I can tell you is that they opened with "In and Above Men" then went into "From Lowering Skies." They also played "Everything Invaded."

Moonspell was amazing.
9/10

Devildriver took the stage, and the kiddy nu-metal pushing began. I gave them a chance, I truly did. But once the singer came out with his pig-nose ring and started yelling "Let's mix it up...." I couldn't get over how many people were there just for Devildriver... where were the true metalheads during the show? I was front and center and everyone around me was just there for devildriver. I had to listen to a little goth boy tell me that I should've been at Ozzfest when Slipknot and Korn were there. Dissapointed in the crowd, to say the least. I managed to go into a deep meditation while Devildriver played, so the time went by fairly quickly. The singer caught my eyes in one of my temporary glimpses to see what was going on, and he gestured me to, essentially, 'wake up,' I gave him a strong and proud "no" gesture. The ironic part was that the bassist was wearing a Cryptopsy shirt, too. Once it went quiet, I told them to stop playing their crap and play some Cryptopsy. I felt the stares of the striplings after that comment. But did I care? Nope. I did a few other fairly humorous comments, but I'll save those for another occasion. It was that bad people, the chugga-chugga riffs were rampant through the whole set, ugh.

2/10

More conversation took place between me and the children around me. Hard to take people seriously when you get comments like "Devil driver has the best blast beats." Ah, the ignorance...

Opeth took the stage to amazing shouts. Mikael explained how Martin, essentially, had a breakdown and that he is seeing a psychologist in Sweden. They are going to see if they can get him back, but I assume they will try and find someone to fill in for him for this tour. All this is speculation, though.
Opeth was amazing, the guitar was crystal clear, and Mikael was on the ball with his singing. A Class act, in every respect. All I can say is,... "amazing." I respect them even more for showing up and doing that set. Even though it was five songs, it was pure Opeth in my ears. I let them know that I was their biggest fan between songs. I got the smiles fro mthe group, and more stares from the kiddies. I love Opeth. The sound was perfect, the only thing that could've been a bit higher was Mikael's microphone. At some points people screamed while he was singing, hate that.

10/10

I waited about 90 mins - 2h to meet the band after the show. They all sat down to sign autographs for everyone. Such a classy band, I got to talk with them all. I let Martin (Mendez) know that he looks more 'metal' than anyone, in photos. We shared a chuckle while he gave me his autograph and a hand shake. He's such an awesome guy. Then came Peter. I was somewhat shaking at this point, as I could now see Mikael Akerveldt two feet away from me. Someone who I feel is one of the most talented and devoted musicians that I have ever come across. I thanked Peter for his nod at me during the show, but he didnt give me the 'horns' back... I don't think he understood what I meant by that. Joke failed.

Onto Mikael, what can I say? One of the nicest guys you can ever meet. He answered the questions I had (after everyone was done signing). Shaking his hand and getting is autograph was bliss. I let him know I respected them even more for doing what they did and playing this reduced set with a temp drummer. Then I got Pers Wilson's autograph... can't really say I said much to him, save "hey." I, later, asked Mikael if he could get Swano and Blackkheim together and do a Diabolical Masquerade, Edge of Sanity, Opeth and Bloodbath tour. The jist of his response was that he is done with Bloodbath, and Blackkheim and Swano essentially don't have actually groups to play a normal set. So it'd be awkward to do a big tour. He did say, though, that if Swano wanted to tour with Edge of Sanity, that he'd do the guitars. Wow, that'd be amazing. I got photos with the group, although my friend got half of Peter's head in one, and the other half in another, bleh. I talked with Mikael for a bit longer and that was the night. I bought my "Lamentations over America" t-shirt and was on my way. They promised they'd come back and play the "heaviest set." I await that day. The only information I got was when Peter told me that "Blackwater park" was in the setlist. But they did reiterate that the songs were going to be some ones they dont normally play. I think I got the nod when I say "The Moor?" as well. Chaos ensued in my mind.

That was my night with the classiest band I have yet to come across. Mikael's voice was perfect, and the guitar sound was amazing. Classy show from a classy band. I await the day they return.

Opeth as people:

10/10

(I was the guy in the Slaughter of the Soul shirt)

Reactions: Lina and Squeak
Thank you very much for this post. I am glad to see SOMEONE is willing to put a bit more into their review. You rule. I just can't understand the people bitching about not wanting to go because they don't want to see those five songs. I also will be there at all four California shows (going WAY out of my way to go) to make SURE they know how much myself and others respect them for continuing and that we support them. If somone really likes a band, they'd do that and not get all whiny about "well, I'm not gonna go now because I don't want to see those songs". You SHOULD be going because you like the band and not be selfish! Sheesh.

Again, Testamentt, you rule. :headbang:

yeah good review man thanks.

It's a really really really really big disappointment because Opeth gig was something for me to look for forward since months..
but heh shit happened.

but yet still, I must meet Mikael before the show and give him the letters i got from my Turkish friends.. So i'll be at the venue in the morning, no matter what, no matter which songs they play..

I really really hope they'd at least play some heavy songs, like Drapery Falls , at least some other accoustics like Benighted or Face Of Melinda.. well if they won't be able to , it's still ok.

Can't wait unti next wednesday!
despite the big disappointment.. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Here's my thread about last night:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133076

And dude, there were too many nu-metal kids there last night, but calling the front 'the kiddy nu-metal section' is just wrong. Me and my friend were at the front during the Moonspell and Opeth sets (I moved to the front row for Opeth), and my brother and his friends were standing in the front row the whole time, even swearing at Devildriver during their set.

Fuck that, I hope they play heavy shit when they come to LA.
Oh well, at least Moonspell can make it up for the heavy tunes. I think the Moonspell drummer should cover for Opeth for the heavy songs! (just a thought)

@Testamentt - Great review. You hit the nail right on the head.

I had never really heard much Moonspell beforehand but they put on a great show. Very energetic and they really seemed glad to be there.

Devildriver, in my opinion, sukced the big one. I toughed it out through their set though so that i could be front and center for Opeth.

I was blown away by both Opeth's performance and their demeanor. They played wonderfully and the drum tech did an awesome job. It was unreal to see them live and it was definitely the best performance that i have ever seen.

Just seeing the show was absolutely unbelievable...As if that wasn't enough - i got to meet all of the guys and get my morningrise cover signed! My only complaint is that i was front and center againt the rail and i failed to catch even one of the handful of picks that Mikael threw. Overall, awesome show, much respect to Opeth and Martin - Get Well Soon!

Master_Debater said:
Why does Testamentt bash on blast beats?

I don't. I was merely stating that the nu-metal kids, in which I was talking to, did not know what blast beats were.

To Beast In Flames: Oh, I know there were true guys like you there, I was merely making the comment that my immediate vicinity was the typical mainstreamers. Just putting in my two cents of exageration. Yeah, that was funny when Mikael threw that one platum, and managed to get it nowhere near anyone. Did you get a chance to meet Moonspell? After I talked with Opeth I was so tired that I only walked by the tour busses. Didn't see them, though.

Can't wait to see them again.