my first attempt at real snare

brianhood

No Care Ever
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/536384/Latin for Truth/song 2.mp3

This is the first mix for this band. They're called Latin for Truth

The snare is an SJC 14x8 mic'd with an sm57 on the top and bottom(the bottom is hardly in the mix). Remo Emperor x head. The drummer was very very solid(one of the best i've recorded so far)

guitars are pod farm with MS Diamondplate and no screamer. Gain at 100 on rythm parts and about 75 on leads.

vox are AT3035 through 003 pre

bass is a terrible squire bass with old strings(broke bass players suck) through Ampex SVX. A bass for my studio is definitely on my "to buy" list. Luckily he was a pretty solid bass player

let me know your thoughts on the mix. I'm sure i'll switch levels around when i get home(especially vocal stuff)

The snare is very nice, but gets a tiny bit lost. Try a bit of transient filter with a stronger attack and sustain.

The mix is a TINY BIT cloudy in the mid region... how about some VERY light multiband compression on the master bus in the low-mids and a high shelf of a db or two max starting at 8khz?

I like the song, good production work.

Everything sounds awesome..can you upload the podfarm patch and guitars post-processing please?and some screenshots or details of vocals chian processing and vocal groups if you use it..thank yuo man..

Nice job man. I agree with what lolzgreg was saying though...it's a tiny bit cloudy sounding in the mids (on the guitars mostly I think) for me too. Snare sounds great though.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say that the snare is not real and that it's replaced with samples.

ive recorded the same band. he has an incredible snare (if that is his snare and not brians) and is also one of the best drummers ive seen in a while. he is like 16 and should be touring the world with some famous band. I wouldnt be surprised if brian had little to no editing as far as drum alignment as well. So i am banking on legit real snare.

also. brian. who is singing???? is that charles?

ive recorded the same band. he has an incredible snare (if that is his snare and not brians) and is also one of the best drummers ive seen in a while. he is like 16 and should be touring the world with some famous band. I wouldnt be surprised if brian had little to no editing as far as drum alignment as well. So i am banking on legit real snare.

also. brian. who is singing???? is that charles?

Shit, is that true? :O That drummer kicks some serious fucking ass if he is only 16!

And that snare sounds AWESOME considering it's just an sm57 with hardly any bottom mic blended in! WTF brian, chill man, you're kicking everyone's ass :)

Alright, so details on the placement of the mic and ... well fuck, give me ALL details regarding the snare and processing! =)

Shit, is that true? :O That drummer kicks some serious fucking ass if he is only 16!

And that snare sounds AWESOME considering it's just an sm57 with hardly any bottom mic blended in! WTF brian, chill man, you're kicking everyone's ass :)

Alright, so details on the placement of the mic and ... well fuck, give me ALL details regarding the snare and processing! =)

im on tour now. or else i would post a clip of what i recorded. actually.

www.myspace.com/latinfortruth i obviously recorded the worst recording on their page. but all of the drums are 100 percent real. with 0 alignment editing. it the the kid dynamite table 19 cover. and on top of that, ive recorded two other songs. all three times ive recorded them. one take for each song as far as drums went. on their full length album the i think it is 10 songs? but anyways. i want to say it only took 3 hours to get allll of the drums tracks done. that is absurd for a 10 song cd. he definitely is incredible.