My first ever mix (krank, slate, lol vocals, generic deathcore)

DeclanWhite

Oct 9, 2009
Australia
This is my first time micing a cab for a recording, first time doing screamed vocals, first time playing everything in a heavy recording and first time doing something half listenable.

i got my new krank rev jr 20w as a result of ryan's thread about his :)

well. here it is. i'm a complete noob, and have no clue what im doing. give me pointers?
oh and im 17 if that helps me from looking so bad haha

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1045597&songID=8955737

Vocals really aren't cutting it man, it just doesn't sound good- and on top of that they're burying the guitar. Bring them WAAAY down/re-track/find better vocalist and beef up those guitars. Seconded on needing a real bass. It's been said on this forum a million times: Bass is half the guitar tone.

Also, I'm 17 as well. Age doesn't count for shit around here, it's all about a willingness to be open to opinion/critique and to listen to what these guys have to say. :p

Vocals really aren't cutting it man, it just doesn't sound good- and on top of that they're burying the guitar. Bring them WAAAY down/re-track/find better vocalist and beef up those guitars. Seconded on needing a real bass. It's been said on this forum a million times: Bass is half the guitar tone.

Also, I'm 17 as well. Age doesn't count for shit around here, it's all about a willingness to be open to opinion/critique and to listen to what these guys have to say. :p

lol, ive never done screamed vocals, give me a break.

Not my kind of music but i agree the vocals need to be lowered.
Maybe look at getting the guitars, drums and *cough* bass mixed and sitting nice before you start adding vocals.
Post some clips and the guys will advise and build up from there.

BTW the vocals aint that bad. ;)

Much better with the vocals removed, you can now hear the music.

Something seems to drop out from 0:17 onwards?

I don't know what your settings are on your amp, but I own a Rev. 1 and it sounds real good to me, but the guitar tone I hear on your track lacks a lot of bottom...you don't want it to sounds "beh beh", but "chook chook", you know:p

I personally set the presence on the Krank real low, maybe at 1-1,5, otherwise I can't get a real good tone out of it...what are your settings on your amp head?

haha i can't remember the settings, and ive only mic'd a cab a few times before, so im new to it all. amp is a rev jr, so i dont have a presence control

You should have closed-back headphones when you mic a cab, so you hear exactly what the mic hears.

Really, you point your mic half a centimeter away and it's another tone of it's own.

i used a rode nt5 for the cab, so maybe a sm57 could improve tone greatly? i only own one mic, so im fairly restricted with micing.

i used a rode nt5 for the cab, so maybe a sm57 could improve tone greatly? i only own one mic, so im fairly restricted with micing.

Don't throw money at the problem when you don't know what you're doing! Rehearse micing your cab. As Simon said, small moves change the tone a lot. Finding the sweet spots of your mic in front of your speaker can improve your tone big time. Not another mic randomly placed in front of your speaker.

Shogger

if you start with something that isn't proven to work, then how do you know it will? sm57 is proven. ill borrow one or two from my school and see how it goes.