My first mac disappointment

Radd

Self Portrait
Jul 19, 2005
NJ
www.soundclick.com
Its an older G5.
Nothing major but definitely sucks balls. It can't read and write dvd-r's anymore. It reads and writes everything else though. I suspect its the mac and not the drive or dvd-r media. Here's why:

When I got it, it didn't have a superdrive so I replaced the drive it had with the superdrive from my G4 so its probably at least 4 years old. Its been in the G5 for about a year and a half I guess. I've been using the same dvd-r media with no problems.
So i figured I need a new drive. Replaced it with a Samsung from OWC. Same thing happens. I google it and apparently its a wide spread problem with many different mac models and people are not able to get it to work. I've tried some possible fixes like booting to open firmware and reseting all and also reseting the pmu and the obvious ones such as repairing with Disk Utility and restarting (several times). Nothing worked. :mad: Its not like I burn a ton of dvd-r's either.

I've wondered if it could be the cable(s) attached to the drive but I doubt it.

I don't expect to get any suggestions on a possible fix but wanted to post just in case.

you could take the computer to an apple authorized service provider or apple store and have a free estimate on the cost of repair. it could be a cheap fix (around 100 bucks) only advice i can offer unfortunately. but its not an issue that occurs very often.

you could take the computer to an apple authorized service provider or apple store and have a free estimate on the cost of repair. it could be a cheap fix (around 100 bucks) only advice i can offer unfortunately. but its not an issue that occurs very often.

Hahaha, some goddamn apple tech support agent you are :lol: