My first mix, Guitar Rig 2.

Scissors61

Jul 18, 2007
Brighton, UK
www.myspace.com
Hey, this is the first mix that I actually felt confident enough to put up here for criticism.

I've not been recording that long, and I can't afford much gear.

Mixed in 2 different sets of cans.

The guitar is all double-tracked, 2 tracks panned 100% l/r, and 2 more tracks (different takes) panned 80% l/r. ESP EC1000 W/ EMG 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. Straight into my Firepod with a Guitar Rig 2 plugin slapped on each channel. Little bit of EQ. I've tried using other amp-sims like revalver, but have had less luck getting a good tone from them.

Bass is a crappy old bottom-end peavey milestone bass, again straight into the firepod, this time with an Ampeg SVX plugin.

As for drums, cymbals are DFH2, and skins are all samples that Andy has posted with a bit of EQ and compression.

No vox as of yet, as my sing sing hasn't quite finished writing.

http://scissors61.co.uk/music/mp3/To Rise.mp3

I just basically want to know what people think, and what I can do to improve, both writing and recording-wise.

Also. Ignore the random snare bit at the end. I've not finished the rest of the song, and there are a few hits where DFH2 just hasn't triggered the cymbals properly, I'm not quite sure why this is, but this is only a rough mix so i haven't gone back and corrected it.

Thanking you in advance :)

Cheers for the reply. I'll take a look at the rhythm guitars and see how much of the fizz I can get rid of, I didn't actually use much gain, but I shave quite high treble and presence.

Thankyou for the comments!