My first mix with real drums.

are u using any reverb or compression on the drum buss. I usually add some reverb to make the kit sound fuller and more like 1 instrument. Try adding a small amount of compression on the buss and see what u get. It doesnt sound terrible but it just is lacking that umph. I really dontl ike the snare, its too pretty for the song, its needs a lot more low end crack. just keep working it, you'll get it

Something I've been doing for a while is sending the kick, snare and toms to a bus and adding compression. It really seems to help glue the beats together so you get a tight sound from the kick & snare.

Getting that snare crack is a tricky one. You need an EQ to bring out the desired frequencies, a compressor that can really smash this shit out of a sound (PSP MixPressor is a good one to try), then combine that with a good gate to control the result. If you really want a super tight, consistant sound then samples will come into play at some point. Nobody says you need to 100% replace though. I often dial in a 50% mix to give a little extra snap. In a pop-punk mix I finished this weekend the snare was already sounding pretty punchy with loads of snap, but I mixed in a lower tuned sample to give it some more weight. Worked a treat.

Getting that snare crack is a tricky one. You need an EQ to bring out the desired frequencies, a compressor that can really smash this shit out of a sound (PSP MixPressor is a good one to try), then combine that with a good gate to control the result. If you really want a super tight, consistant sound then samples will come into play at some point. Nobody says you need to 100% replace though. I often dial in a 50% mix to give a little extra snap. In a pop-punk mix I finished this weekend the snare was already sounding pretty punchy with loads of snap, but I mixed in a lower tuned sample to give it some more weight. Worked a treat.

that usually works really well, mixing your original snare with a good sample.

Draging this up for one last go:

Now there is vocals, and no I did not record them :lol: in fact I didn't get to mix them either:erk: .

Mastered by the same dude that sang. My opinion to much verb on the vocals and to compressed overall.

Whatcha guys think?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=593338 "Beautiful Letdown w/ vocals teaser"

He actually never sang the whole song with sucks. All well I think we are kicking his ass sometime soon :lol: