my first official post here. help with my recording!!!

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
well this is why i joined up here to speak to like minded people and get a lot of critique, suggestion, and help with my recording and mixing and all that stuff...

SoundClick MP3: LOVE HAMMER - Band page with free MP3 music downloads on SoundClick

forget playing for a second. this was a song idea i had that i broke down to some of the parts and record in one try. playing sloppy but nonetheless i did my best to mix just guitars. i am using sonar 6 producers edition and have a pretty hooked up (for a non pro) studio with a lot of gear and mics. this is with a mesa boogie road king head + mesa 4x12 and is recorded with 2 mics simulatenously on the cabinet on the v30 side of the cabinet (it has 2 diff
pairs of speakers celestion c90(2) + v30(2) in a 4x12) the sennheiser e609 is on the top R speaker off axis in between center and edge. and the other mic is a sm57 which is on the grille also but it is angled down towards the top edge othe cone of the bottom R speaker. it gives is a more "wide" sound off the bat. i figured it i mixed the 2 and then panned them L and R would sound good. i don't know.

on other forums i've usually posted a detailed description but no one ends up reading it so unless someone asks i'm just going to leave it at what we have so far as info on the recording.

i can't get it to "jump out" and the actual recording of the amp doesn't do it justice it doesn't sound as clear. the tone sounds awesome in the room.

It sounds a little scooped to me, and it lacks gain to my liking, dont know, maybe a booster (tubescreamer and the likes) would be worth a try, it will tighten the bottom end.
Besides, sometimes it sounds like it's a single coil.
Anyway, it all depends on the other instruments for a single one to "jump out" IMO.

hmm. i'm not so concerned about the tone i hear in the room meaning my eq settings. i have the mids halfway on the amp. it's just the pups are low output dimarzio virtual hot pafs. i like that style. ala lamb of god. i like hearing the string clarity. i hate overwhelming amounts of gain.

but anyway. my concern is just recreating the sound i hear with my ears in front of the cabinet. i understand that mixing with other instruemnts is totally different. but before i get to that i still wanna work on making the gutiars sound clear and crisp and powerful so you get the same effect.