My Friend's Place - great for lunch!

sh0kr0k

Jul 7, 2002
St. Paul, MN
www.myspace.com
Did you know there is a little sandwich deli under the Kinkos by Residence Inn? Apparently it's been there for 8 years, and apparently I need to get my eyes checked because I've only discovered it today.

They had a sign on the sidewalk pointing the way down the steps and around the patio to a delightful little family-owned restaurant called My Friend's Place. They have a massive menu of really healthy sandwiches, pitas, and I think I saw some salads too. I ordered a turkey & broccoli pita with provolone, got a bottle of Mistic Carrot Mango juice, and some Baked Lays for about $8. The food was all perfectly fresh and made to order. The juice tasted incredible and will be a good way to keep up on veggies during the week. The pita was served hot and wrapped to go, and filled me up quickly. There's countless tables available and it's very clean and well-lit for being hidden away. There are also fresh fruit, chilled sodas, cole slaw and fruit cups, and home-made cookies available.

The only problem is they close at 4pm. :-\

Have you all known about this place all these years and I just wasn't paying attention? Admittedly I wasn't looking for other food options when Madison Grill was open.

I chatted with a man who I assumed was the owner and he said it's too difficult for them to stay open that late. He's aware of ProgPower so I suggested that he have special hours next year during PP week for extra business ;-) Not that it'll happen, but can't hurt to ask. He said he doesn't stay open that late because he thinks no one wants sandwiches at night, that people would rather go to Vespucciano's for beer and wings. IDK about you guys, but beer and wings are the last thing I want after the show. :ill:

Anyway, the service was great, the food was excellent, the price was affordable, and I have a soft spot for small businesses. So if you don't know about My Friend's Place, check them out tomorrow for lunch before the show. They are on the corner by the Residence Inn under the Kinko's. Just take the steps down and go through the patio tables to the door on the far right.

Apparently they are really busy around 1pm but I went at roughly 2:30 and was the only person there.

Knew about it,but closes early as you said. That area is a business district, so many places close around dinner time. Of course when you get farther south there's more open, like that Thai place.

Nice! That's good news. I've stayed at the RI several times now and never noticed it. My new plan:

Stop there before 4pm. Buy 2 or 3 sandwiches. Gobble 1, put the rest in the fridge for later.

Ken

I hope everyone likes this little place. I plan to go back in just a few minutes.

Correction: It's more accurate to say it's "below the old Madison Grill" I realized that the Kinko's is actually much further over than the lower level of the plaza. My bad. I'm sure it won't mess anyone up though ;)

There's another sandwich option that I believe is open until 10pm. They deliver until 9pm but it costs $5 on top of your order (I assume in lieu of tipping) and there's a $20 minimum order.

Jason's Deli is over on 10th. It's about 3 blocks from midtown Marta stop. There's a lot of organic options if you like that kind of stuff and there's even gluten free bread.

http://www.jasonsdeli.com/
If you order online, use zip code 30309 and select the midtown location.

Thanks, Tammy! I missed this post in all of the chaos last year. :) I have added it to the facebook album of restaurants.

~Jen

Based on online info, it looks like this place closed. Too bad, because it was a great stop right before heading into the fest.

Has something else gone in its place? Its a little unclear on Google Maps.

Thanks.

Based on online info, it looks like this place closed.
Has something else gone in its place? Its a little unclear on Google Maps.

Yes, it closed. I just called (404) 607-0004 and it's disconnected. I'm not sure if anything went in its place.

~Jen