My fruit Psychobells, Bath, or the Kayo Dot CD?

capeda said:
Dude, Greg, the duelling solos in Ferocious Weights might be my favorite part of the album! I always go "!!!" when they lock in for that couple of seconds!
i'll always remember that back in those days i never actually heard the songs or parts i was soloing over until the day i would record. it had been a long trip to hampshire and when i got there we went right to the studio and toby began to play me each of the songs he was working on and where he wanted me to solo. i was feeling ancy and he played me ferocious weights and i immediately was like "let me solo over that first!" and when i did i nailed the first part of the solo in one take because i was so excited! of course it took me another half hour or so to come up with a decent second part to compliment it but at the time i was very proud!

Wow, my first post on the MotW board!

Anyway, glad to see I'm not the only one who rank Choirs at the top of the MotW/KD catalogue. It's also rather strange how I always tend to agree with Iandork...but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Anyway, In can honestly say I have never been a huge fan of MotW, although I definitely liked them (I only have Bath and LYBM though). I just found them rather uncohesive (don't even ask me to delve into it, I've tried unsuccesfully...they just feel that way) and to be honest, there was a time when I developed a kind of animosity towards the band, mainly cause I considered them overrated and every one of the fans I saw around here had a big mouth and considered all music inferior and "unintelligent" :tickled: . Sry.

I've recently rediscovered Bath/LYBM though, and I like them more than before, but they are still VERY far from being favorites of mine....heh, I prefer pretty much every Opeth release over them any day :)lol: , sorry, I'm just checking to see if this is still heresy around these parts).

I think I'm also one of the few people in here who wasn't expecting something amazing from CotE, since MotW didn't really interest me that much, and since I hadn't heard the samples. Then the buzz started going around, and I decided to order it online. I liked it a lot from the very first listen, and I considered it immensely superior to anything MotW had put out, but it still didn't quite feel all that great, and once again, I considered it overrated.

Then I started listening more and more, and it grew on me like no other record ever has, and it's become not only my favorite album released this year, but also one of my favorite albums of all time...no matter how corny that sounds.

I think the turning point for me came one night when I was listening to The Manifold Curiosity (btw, I always listen to the album from start to finish) and around the 4:46 mark, it just hit me...this was something special. I was incredibly moved by that particular part, for some unknown reason...I actually came very close to tears :lol:

Anyway, all pretentious, sappy bullshit aside...I suggest you get Choirs, as it is easily the best they have put out (well, for me :p ). You should also get the rest of their catalogue, of course, if I were you, I'd stop wasting valuable music appreciation time and get Choirs as quickly as possible....but be prepared to give it your full attention, it deserves nothing less :)

Azogue said:
I think the turning point for me came one night when I was listening to The Manifold Curiosity (btw, I always listen to the album from start to finish) and around the 4:46 mark, it just hit me...this was something special. I was incredibly moved by that particular part, for some unknown reason...I actually came very close to tears :lol:
Yes... that clarinet solo is amazing. Quite possibly my favourite part of the album.

Baliset said:
my favorites to play live:

1. Catharsis
2. Conception

Y'know I remember a while ago when I listened to A Conception Pathetic and thought to myself how much it would fucking RULE live. It's got everything...that cool hard metal start which then goes into those wavy, watery riffs that would perfect for kicking back in some smoky bar with a beer. Atmosphere! The end is totally fun too. I wanna see it live! Waahhh!! :erk: :loco:

I remember having arguments against you about Maudlin Azogue, good to see you come around to the light side. Now listen to Bath and LYBM more dammit! :p

i think IanDork's ranking is about what mine is.

even though i think CotE is better than the Bath/LYBM couplet, i would suggest getting Bath before CotE. if you really love LYBM, Bath is the same kind of stuff, and you're really only hearing kind of half the album with only one of them.

CotE is different, and a progression, so there's plenty of time to get into that later.

greg: the Blight solo is one of my favourite Greg solos.

Azogue said:
I just found them rather uncohesive

I imagine some people who *gasp* "don't" "get" "it" listen to the music and think "uncohesive" while others will think naturally "diverse." You need to get with the program, bitch. ;)

--

Since the topic is open, I like Cartharsis the most too; I especially love the pathos of the opening motif/melody. The whole album rocks though.

As long as we're on topic I should inform the Kayo Dot guys of this: I was listening to a online radio station specializing in progressive rock (www.deliciousagony.com) last night, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear one of its DJs go into a long introduction before playing no fewer than five songs from LYBM, in which he had nothing but praise for the group and Kayo Dot, which he said we would also play at a later date. Very cool if you ask me

PS no, I am not affiliated with that station in any other way besides being a frequent listener.