my gutierrez custom came in today

cobrahead1030

Nov 16, 2005
waited all damn day for ups to show up, they finally rolled in around 5pm

i'll keep it pretty brief here, i've spent about 2 hours playing on it...great fretwork, feels nice and smooth all the way across, had to adjust the action (raise it) but i love the overall feel of the neck, and didn't take long at all to feel comfortable on it...the tung oil finished maple neck is a breeze to play on, and upper fret access is amazing

visually it's got a nice classy kinda vibe, but still has a metal look, and of course functions as such...she sounds very nice, full & balanced, sustains nicely, and clear as a bell; i'm really happy with the tone of the lil 59, and it works great with the JB

it's gonna take some getting used to trying to move around on those high frets :D

so far i'm quite satisfied...we'll see what i think after the honeymoon, in a few weeks

oh, and umm....

jug1.jpg

jug2.jpg

jug3.jpg

jug4.jpg

jug5.jpg

jug6.jpg

jug7.jpg

this is a bit of a pain to photograph, did some different things with the flash to show how the lighting affects the appearance (my girl took the pics, cuz her camera confuses me)

a few more

jug9.jpg

jug8.jpg

and since i was too lazy to get any from behind

mike_27_done_3.jpg

he doesn't have a site, but he does have a myspace page with a bunch of his work on it...he also has a forum at www.rig-talk.com where you can check out some stuff

i paid $1600 shipped with hardcase...not cheap but a great price for what i got, and no other good custom builder would've done this for less than half that

here are the specs:
mahogany body
maple neck thru
rosewood board
24.75" scale w/27 frets on treble side
duncan jb and lil 59
jumbo frets
esp eclipse style neck profile w/tungoil neck finish

the finish i like a trans. black cherry kinda deal

straplocks are flushmounted, so they sit down inside the body rather than sticking out (they use a different exterior shape, but the inside is identical to any set of dunlop straplocks)

warwick does this on many of their custom basses, and i always thought it was cool

i think the direct mount looks great on that body style, but i anchor my pinky on the pickup ring for leads and that really fucked with me on that guitar

i also wasn't a fan of the 25.5 scale, korina body, and EMG's...even so it was a stellar guitar, and i really wouldn't have minded keeping it; with the emg 60 in the neck i got some of the best clean tones ever