My Gutierrez Juggernaut custom 7 string (pics)

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
Hey, guys. I ordered this a while ago, and a lot of progress has been made on it. It should be done in the near future, so I figured I'd post some pics for anyone who might want to see...

First, here's the specs:
-7 strings (of course).
-Carved top "Juggernaut" body style.
-4x3 headstock
-Neck-through construction.
-Neck and body wood both made of Black Limba (or Korina, as Gibson called it... It's supposed to sound a lot like Mahogany but a little brighter, more resonant, and acoustically louder).
-Fretboard, truss rod cover, and cavity covers on back of the guitar all made of some awesome looking Cocobolo.
-24 Stainless Steel jumbo frets
-15" fretboard radius, like the Ernie Ball MusicMan Petrucci 7 strings
-25.5" scale (I don't like super tight string tension or extended scale lengths... I know some of you dudes are really big on extended scale lengths for 7 strings, but there're plenty of great players that prefer the 25.5" scale.... like John Petrucci, Chris Broderick, Rusty Cooley, Andy James, etc.... it's all just preference).
-Neck shape and thickness are similar to the Ibanez RG1527's neck and the EBMM Petrucci 7 string's neck. Pretty thin and comfortable (for a 7 string)
-Original Floyd Rose 7 with a heavy bell brass sustain block from www.floydupgrades.com to add some extra resonance, sustain, and bass response. I know some people aren't into Floyds, but I love them.
-Pickups will be Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
-It's also going to have a momentary push button killswitch for rhythmic on/off tremolo kind of effects, a la Buckethead, Tom Morello, etc.... They just seem like a lot of fun, so I wanted to get one on there to try out.
-The whole guitar is going to have a satin matte finish, and I'm thinking about having the body and neck stained a transparent red or red/brown kind of color, but I'm not sure yet. I might just leave it natural depending on how it looks when it's all put together.

I'll post a few pics below of what I've seen so far, but you can see all of them here on my photobucket if you want:

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x173/joshualoganpics/My Gutierrez Juggernaut 7 string/

EDIT: Sorry that the pics were huge. I edited in smaller versions of them. Click the photobucket link above for the full size pics.

Yeah, sorry about the big pics. I just fixed it.

Okay, I didn't feel like resizing all of them, but I changed the html codes to clickable thumbnails of the pics.... so just click the pics to see the full size versions or click the photobucket link to look at all of them.

Yeah, man. I replied to your PM on sevenstring.org, but I don't know if you ever got it.

Ohhh yeah... forgot I PM'd you... and I never got an email from SevenString.org to notify me of a PM, perhaps it got caught in my spam filter.

At any rate, thank you for your reply! The specs of the guitar I'm planning to order will be nearly identical to yours. I'm thinking about EMG 707TW and Ebony fretboard though.

Ohhh yeah... forgot I PM'd you... and I never got an email from SevenString.org to notify me of a PM, perhaps it got caught in my spam filter.

At any rate, thank you for your reply! The specs of the guitar I'm planning to order will be nearly identical to yours. I'm thinking about EMG 707TW and Ebony fretboard though.

I was gonna go with the 707TW's at first but just recently changed my mind to the Blackouts for some reason. Just been checking them out and they seem to be awesome... I was thinking about ebony at first too, but wanted to have something unique looking and ended up with the cocobolo

Sounds nice, that guy makes some sick looking guitars. How longs the build time, start to finish?

Sounds nice, that guy makes some sick looking guitars. How longs the build time, start to finish?

He took about 2 months to get mine done, which was fast as hell for a custom. I think it all depends on how many he is already doing at the time you order.

Highly recommended, and great price.

Not sure exactly, but it's about 2 months from the time he starts building it. Pretty fast for a handbuilt custom guitar. I could never wait as long as some people do for their stuff.... some shops taking up to a year more! that's crazy to me.

Nice guitar dude!!! When is it gonna be ready?? How much will it cost? I think I'll have my own custom guitar either from Ran or Gutierez...

Should be ready in a few weeks, i think.

Price was really fair. Brent agreed to do it for me for $2,000, which is a pretty good deal considering I originally thought it'd end up being much more, because of the options I wanted. According to the pricelist it'd be $2,000 base price for a 7 string Juggernaut + $150 for exotic wood neck + $75-$150 exotic wood fretboard + $150 exotic wood body wings + $200 for stainless steel frets + $150 for a Floyd. So, according to that, it'd come out to $2,750... but he's doing all of that for me for $2,000, which is very cool of him... So, I guess he will work with people a little on price... probably has to do with the fact I wanted a 7 string and was spending a little more (whereas I think he usually does 6 strings).

Almost done, guys! Some new pics! First one is before the solvent was put on the guitar to make the grain pop. That's why it looks lighter colored.

josh_6.jpg

josh_8.jpg

josh_9.jpg

And some more! The first pic here shows the cavity covers. I asked him to make them out of Cocobolo (the same wood as the fretboard). The truss rod cover will also be Cocobolo. I got the idea for wooden covers from a few Sherman and KxK guitars I saw and Brent said he'd do it for me. I think it adds a nice touch! The second and third pics are amazing.... the best pics I've seen of the guitar yet. The fretboard is the same color as the cavity covers on the back of the guitar... it just looks a little darker/more brownish because of the lighting in the room.

josh_26resized.jpg

josh_27resized.jpg

josh_28resized.jpg

:OMG: