My interview with Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I did this interview with Jon in late July/early August. We spoke for a half hour while he was doing promo for the new Demons and Wizards disc. The interview was done on behalf of the Royal Carnage web zine. Unfortunately, the decision was made to take the zine down before the interview could see the light of day. While the zine may be down, the forum is still alive and kicking (here on UM). For those of you who appreciate more aggressive forms of Metal, I highly recommend the forum.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4437921#post4437921

Zod

Wow, good interview. You guys got a lot accomplished in a 1/2 hour. I kind of thought Jon was cool to talk to when I chatted with him for probably an hour at Prog Power several years ago. He's a direct person, but I think that's a good thing ... there's not a lot of bull being thrown around. He basically foreshadowed Barlow's departure for me, and I wasn't very suprised at all when it was announced that Matt was out.

Britt

Bear said:
You should have asked him how does he likes his liberal tree hugging fans?
All kidding aside, I would have loved to have asked him how he feels about the Bush administration these days. Does he feel deceived? Does he feel it was still the right move (invading Iraq)? Etc.

Zod

:worship:

WOW!! GREAT interview, Zod!! I'm at work in slacks and reading about the Something Wicked concept.... well, let's just say I'm gonna have to stay at my desk for a while until the swelling geos down!!! ;)

I remember another thread where you and I discussed IE and, in particular, Something Wicked (my fav IE album and one of my fav albums, period!!). And you said something like...Ripper's only weakness is he's not Matt!!!! I agree!!

Two questions: One - I didn't know Matt had done any vox on the GB until reading your interview. Was his heart just not in it?? Was there any animosity between him and Jon before, during or after Matt decided to leave??
Just curious because I had always assumed Matt just decided to hang it up way before GB got to the studio. I also didn't know Matt is Jon's bro-in-law!! I assume they parted on good terms?? One thing I respect about Jon is his brutal honesty. Don't ask him a question expecting to hear what YOU want to hear!!

The second question is about the SW "sequel". I remember hearing once Jon wanted to expand on the trilogy at the end (I can't remember the name of it). Is this kinda what he has in mind?? I couldn't gleen from his description what the spin was. It almost sounded like a remake with more meat on the bones.

Thanks again - GREAT interview. I just think Iced Earth does metal the way it was meant to be - simple, loud and nasty. At the end of each song, the band is saying "Any fucking questions?"!!

Peace,
Chris :headbang:

MadeInNewJersey said:
that was the funniest fucking night ever. Henry & I were SO DRUNK

Good times!!!! You remember he was taking a hit off of a pipe and said this doesn't leave this room?

Oh wait? Hmmmm LOL :loco::loco::loco:

Bear

GateXII said:
LOL!! Thanks for the flashback to Powerfest 2004! :D

We will have to throw on some Iced Earth in April and throw down some more brews again Rob, I can't wait for the fest again!!!!!

Bear

SavaVIDude said:
WOW!! GREAT interview, Zod!!
Thanks.

SavaVIDude said:
Two questions: One - I didn't know Matt had done any vox on the GB until reading your interview. Was his heart just not in it?? Was there any animosity between him and Jon before, during or after Matt decided to leave??
Exactly. They went into the studio with Matt, fully expecting to record "The Glorious Burden" with him. However, because his heart was not in it, the end result was unusable. Matt and Jon spoke and decided to part ways. Matt is married to Jon's sister, and as I understand it, they are on good terms. At least that's what's been stated publicly.

SavaVIDude said:
The second question is about the SW "sequel". I remember hearing once Jon wanted to expand on the trilogy at the end (I can't remember the name of it). Is this kinda what he has in mind??
Yes. Assuming he can get the good folks at SPV to back him. He wants to write "The Somethign Wicked" story, as a two seperate discs. They would record the first half of the story, release it, go back into the studio and record the second half of the story, and then tour in support of both CDs. Because this not the way things are usually done, and because Jon wants to put a lot of money into the production of these CDs, there's a substantial financial committment from SPV required. At the time I spoke to Jon, he was still waiting to hear from SPV, as to whether they would support this plan. He was hopefull they would.

Zod

Jon Shaffer will NOT tell you what you want to hear. He will tell you the TRUTH.

Fuckin metal.

When I spoke to Jon at PP3, he said that him and Matt hang out when they have time. But Matt's up in the New England area, right? And Jon lives in Indiana... so that's a good chunk of change just to visit each other. I'm sure they're honest with each other and haven't tried to lay any guilt trips or play the blame game. But if Matt just wasn't sounding good, or didn't come up with strong enough vocals, or wasn't enjoying it any more, then what can you do? Scrap things, start new. I guess there was the initial pissed-off time period. There's that period for ANYONE who's passionate about his work and has to stop completely. But Matt was a great singer with great talent. He just lost the drive. I can understand that.

I'm most thankful that Jon got The Ripper because he's the ONLY voice I can hear in my head that would be worthy of replacing Matt. And I saw him live twice, and got to hear him sing the older material. I knew he was a perfect fit when they did Pure Evil, and he screamed like a banshee being tortured! And I was finally convinced when I heard him sing the first line from Iced Earth. That sold me.

Matt is THE most evil, most frightening, most fuckin metal voice I've ever heard, and inspired me to learn how to get the grit and grunt of a deep, evil voice.

Tim is an EXCELLENT singer with crazymadwickedawesome range and skill, and he inspires me to learn how to sing better and get the pitch control and screeching sound and the length and sustain of an impossibly long note.

Both deserve to sing in Iced earth. They're just two different voices.

And that's all I got to say about that!

BlindPanzer said:
so Zod, you liked Touched by the Crimson King?
In a word, no. I haven't been crazy about either disc. From my chat with Jon, I gather that these CDs aren't written the way they'd like them to be; with the two of them in a room. I think they're both very talented songwriters. However, most of the songs on these two discs are lackluster.

You?

Zod