My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
phyre said:
"Tuonela" is excellent and my favourite Amorphis album. Full of atmosphere and confident clean vocals. Even fewer growls, with only one song using them to any greater extent.

Excellent - I'll try "Tuonela" out. I'm glad you're inclined to mention the 'confident clean vocals'. Pasi Koskinen can be 'hit or miss' on Elegy, and he typically misses when not singing with confidence. That always weakens the performance when people don't sing from the gut. That's what kills me on Bathory clean vocals, although Nordland I is much, much better vocally than, say, TofG. But I digress...

The "My Kantele" EP is good too, nice Hawkwind cover and "The Brother Slayer" is an excellent song... The "Black Winter Day" EP is the only Amorphis CD I don't have (except the newer singles and the compilation) but I've heard MP3's and that one is good as well.

I've never seen the EP anywhere, but I'll look on eBay. That's where I bought Elegy - for $2. :D

Cool discussion about Amorphis guys...I learned more than a thing or 2 myself, and now need to go get those albums...sigh.

Hey, what's up 495? Nice meeting you last night, and thanks for coming by the forum.

And now, on to the thread's topic...naturally, I lost all impulse control when faced with so many stupid vendors, so here's my NJ Metalfest haul:

Grave - Into The Grave + Tremendous Pain
Allegiance - Hymn Till Hangagud
Diabolical Masquerade - The Phantom Lodge (digipack)
Himinbjorg - Where Ravens Fly
Behemoth - Satanica (signed by the entire band)
Einherjer - Norwegian Native Art
God Dethroned - Bloody Blasphemy (signed by the entire band)
Buried Dreams - Perceptions
Goatwhore - The Eclipse Of Ages Into Black
Aesma Daeva - The Eros Of Frigid Beauty
Carnal Forge - Please...Die!
Dies Irae - Naive
Himinbjorg - Haunted Shores (digipack)
Thorns - s/t
Buried Dreams - Necrosphere
Serberus - Descension
Ancient Rites - And The Hordes Stood As One
Dream Evil - Evilized
Forlorn - Hybernation
Masterplan - s/t (digibook)

Today I received the Manes "Under Ein Blodraud Maane" CD I won on eBay some while back. Rather excellent, typically Norwegian black metal.

495 said:
no prob :) i ll hang around a bit and try not to annoy you guys much :D hows the Carnal Forge CD ya got?

LOL, 495, the more you read my posts, the more you'll begin to understand that it takes me months and months and months to actually listen to my new purchases, because I have so many damned CDs to get to already!

So...uh, I haven't gotten to the Carnal Forge CD yet. I only hope it captures HALF the energy they produced on stage...

phyre said:
You mean "Cold Lake", right? Poor you! Is it quite as horrible as everyone (and by everyone, I mean EVERYONE) says?

Cold Lake, yeah, that sounds right :p dunno if it's crap or not, I ain't listened to it yet and I'm got some Savatage to get round to before I do. Does it suck, then? That's a pity. I saw it for three quid in a record shop and thought "why the fuck not?". Only CF I've listened to before was an mp3 from years ago, can't remember what the song was called (but I remember it sucked :p)

Oh, and today I bought:

Nazareth - greatest hits
Savatage - Gutter Ballet

Ha ha ha! :lol: sounds good though - Hair Metal is a guilty pleasure of mine. W.A.S.P., Poison, Twisted Sister...just my favourites out of my catalogue :p I'm sure I'll dig this album now :lol:

Regarding Cold Lake... it's pretty bad... I own it because I'm a completist with certain bands... "Roses Without Thorns," "Cherry Orchards," not bad... but not great, not by CF standards.

It's the only cd not remastered and re-released either... however, according to Warrior, their label might be getting ready to, against the band's wishes. Funny how they were VERY proud of it at the time and now he absolutely hates it...

OK here's a recent haul (order):

Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja (oh yeah baby)
Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica
Amorphis - Tuonela (my new fave band these days)
Amorphis - Am Universum
Voivod - s/t
Evergrey - Recreation Day
Secret Sphere - Mistress of the Shadowlight
Mercenary - Everblack

That'll do for now.

@PapaJosh: Darkane - Rusted Angel is blowing my mind. Thanks for selling it to me - I could never find that one anywhere. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.