My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JayKeeley said:
Jason - be honest, was it the latest Stratovarius album that drove you further to the dark side? :lol:

Hehe, nah, I was on my way there already, but it sure would be a good starting point! :)

I don't know what Tolkki's been thinking the last couple of years, but he really needs to refocus his energies on doing what he does best, and that's rock out!!

Dark One said:
Hehe, nah, I was on my way there already, but it sure would be a good starting point! /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

I don't know what Tolkki's been thinking the last couple of years, but he really needs to refocus his energies on doing what he does best, and that's rock out!!

Yeah, I mean what happened to the guy who wrote the riffs for Black Diamond, Speed of Light, and Fathertime?!

And that Kotipleto is just as bad. When I mentioned that album to Mike Romeo, he was just shaking his head...(you know, because these session players work remotely and have little say).

OK just ordered:

The Provenance - Still at Arms Length
Amorphis - Karelian Isthmus
Cradle of Filth - Damnation and a Day
Bathory - Nordland 2 (with the most unoriginal cover in history)
Necrophagia - Divine Act of Torture

You know I don't own a single Katatonia? I tried them once, and never got into it. I didn't really like Sentenced either (if they're allowed to be mentioned in the same breath).

However, my tastes have changed over the last few months, and I'd like to give them another try.

I've been listening to Anathema - Alternative 4 by the way. You recommended that to me once not so long ago. I really like it, and I really like the fact that they don't try to put on a fake American accent.

JayKeeley said:
Are you guys going to do a review of this? I'm real skeptical about buying their stuff since that Bitter Suites piece of trash. Midian was pretty cool but I don't really like that direction for them. :zombie: <-- is here for no reason whatsoever

JayKeeley said:
You know I don't own a single Katatonia? I tried them once, and never got into it. I didn't really like Sentenced either (if they're allowed to be mentioned in the same breath).

However, my tastes have changed over the last few months, and I'd like to give them another try.

I've been listening to Anathema - Alternative 4 by the way. You recommended that to me once not so long ago. I really like it, and I really like the fact that they don't try to put on a fake American accent.

I got into Katatonia and Anathema at the same time. I bought Tonight's Decision, by Katatonia, and Alternative 4. They came out the same year. They both just blew me away. They are both depressing bands, I think. You would probably really like Katatonia's new and old stuff. You might want to try the newer first, though. I've just recently got the newest 'Viva Emptiness'. Get it or 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down', then work your way backwards with their stuff. If you like Opeth and you like Anathema, Katatonia is somewhere in between.

Are you guys going to do a review of this? I'm real skeptical about buying their stuff since that Bitter Suites piece of trash. Midian was pretty cool but I don't really like that direction for them.
zombie.gif
<-- is here for no reason whatsoever

Indeed we are. I'm buying it based on PJ's recommendation I'll admit. My last haul had a few blind purchases, and this was one of them.

npearce said:
I got into Katatonia and Anathema at the same time. I bought Tonight's Decision, by Katatonia, and Alternative 4. They came out the same year. They both just blew me away. They are both depressing bands, I think. You would probably really like Katatonia's new and old stuff. You might want to try the newer first, though. I've just recently got the newest 'Viva Emptiness'. Get it or 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down', then work your way backwards with their stuff. If you like Opeth and you like Anathema, Katatonia is somewhere in between.

Yeah thanks. I'm not afraid to admit that I've only *really* recently got into Opeth (last 18 months) and stuff like Deliverance blows me away now, although at first I was kind of scratching my head - especially when comparing it to the almighty Orchid.

Anathema is beautiful. I LOVE Radiohead (Bends era), and I really like the melancholy of Coldplay too. Anathema fits snugly in with those bands, IMO, except with the 'metal' elements. Like I said earlier, I like when vocalists sing naturally. And it suits the music.

I know people like David Coverdale and Ozzy put on these American accents when singing, but I guess it suits that style (Arena Rock). Anathema are much more genuine.

I'll order Viva Emptiness and get Tomer to throw it into the same shipment. I still have time.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah thanks. I'm not afraid to admit that I've only *really* recently got into Opeth (last 18 months) and stuff like Deliverance blows me away now, although at first I was kind of scratching my head - especially when comparing it to the almighty Orchid.

Anathema is beautiful. I LOVE Radiohead (Bends era), and I really like the melancholy of Coldplay too. Anathema fits snugly in with those bands, IMO, except with the 'metal' elements. Like I said earlier, I like when vocalists sing naturally. And it suits the music.

I know people like David Coverdale and Ozzy put on these American accents when singing, but I guess it suits that style (Arena Rock). Anathema are much more genuine.

I'll order Viva Emptiness and get Tomer to throw it into the same shipment. I still have time.

I should get today or tomorrow, I'm curious...

Just got in the new Devin Townsend band "Accelerated Evolution Special edition"

Beautiful...

JayKeeley said:
OK just ordered:

The Provenance - Still at Arms Length
Amorphis - Karelian Isthmus
Bathory - Nordland 2 (with the most unoriginal cover in history)
Necrophagia - Divine Act of Torture

This haul turned up yesterday.

Listened to The Provenance this morning at home - not bad, not bad at all. Think 'Lacuna Coil' except the male singer uses death vocals.

Listened to Necrophagia on the way into work. Holy mutha of goat! Doesn't have the darkness and heaviness of Mortician, and the vocals aren't quite as guttural, but it's not a bad thing folks...they sound pretty ingenious with that 'demented circus act' kind of impression.

Only one listen on each, but so far so good...

JayKeeley: That is some EXCELLENT stuff you're getting there.

My Neptune Towers/Sólstafir/Rapture/Negura Bunget order arrived today, and I just feel like saying that "Maiastru Sfetnic" (NB's previous album) has truly exquisite packaging also. Maybe even more beautiful than the new one. These people sure know how important the visual aspect of albums can be... Strangely enough, their previous release, the "Sala Molksa" EP has ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS artwork... But whatever, I guess they learned quickly :p

What I am trying to say is: if you only have the newest NB, get the others ASAP because they are all totally excellent. Yep. Can be a tad hard to get hold of, but it's quite possible.

phyre said:
JayKeeley: That is some EXCELLENT stuff you're getting there.

Yeah looking forward to receiving this haul. Can't wait to give them a spin. And I finally wanted to get Nightshade Forests just because I think Dol Guldur is their best work (and apparently, the work on NF is stuff that didn't make it to DG - I never knew that).

My Neptune Towers/Sólstafir/Rapture/Negura Bunget order arrived today, and I just feel like saying that "Maiastru Sfetnic" (NB's previous album) has truly exquisite packaging also. Maybe even more beautiful than the new one.

That is a bold statement! :) The NB packaging on the new one is some of the best I've ever seen, but now I'm intrigued nonetheless...

Hey Erik - I never asked you, but out of interest, where do you get your music from? Do you buy on-line, or do you have good high-street record stores near you?

I only have crud record stores around here. I buy online from various obscure and not-so-obscure distros, and occasionally on eBay.

Papa Josh said:
You could've gotten this from me probably cheaper than you did elsewhere.. :D

Did you have it listed somewhere? I must have missed it, damn.

Also, since you seem to be selling stuff all the time, would you suggest that I/we check with you before we buy anywhere else, even if you have not listed it on eBay or whatever?

Waddayafink?

Status
Not open for further replies.