My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I got my live Angra and new lost horizon yesterday from theendrecords, thx for reminding me, heh heh. well satisfied with the quick turnaround on the order as well, considering it had to be mailed from the heart of mormonland....
the Angra is a great collection of classic songs, winding up with a cover of Number of the Beast. but the recording, in an attempt I suppose to make it sound authentically live without all the studio tinkering many live recordings get, has a hollow quality. I will be listening to those discs alot in thenext few months but that aspect was a minor disappointment.

Papa Josh said:
Papa enjoys a little rap from time to time, and 'Face is a fucking legend!

Word to the motherland. Just listening to NWA last night, and Revolusongs has a cool cover of Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos which makes me want to pull out my Nation of Millions Cd...

@lizard - the new Lost Horizon is good, very good in fact. I should pull that one out and get a review done. LH deserve a ton of exposure. But I still think the first CD has the slight edge. The second one sounds a bit Hawkwind'ish to me at times, and the first uses less keyboards. Both are very good though, and like I keep saying, the drummer for LH is one of the best out there.

Shame about the Angra production - but then, I try to avoid live CD's. Seems like a load of live albums are coming out this year: Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Edguy etc...

btw guys....I finally finished listening to that Celtic Frost album yesterday......it sure does suck :p

Nothing "Nondescript: Ouroborous Vermiform Ouroborous Sanguine"...
Agalloch-related electronic-ish (I don't know how to pigeonhole this kind of stuff) project.

Papa Josh said:
Just got the new Enslaved dvd today in the mail. Ordered last Friday from The End. Man, Tomer is the man!

Is that with the free shipping option? I find that sometimes they fly over, and other times they get stuck in purgatory.

What's on the dvd by the way? Is it live footage?

JayKeeley said:
Is that with the free shipping option? I find that sometimes they fly over, and other times they get stuck in purgatory.

What's on the dvd by the way? Is it live footage?

Yes, free shipping. I guess Utah and Texas like each other.. :p

The dvd is one of the best I've seen in awhile. 12 tracks of live footage, including 3 songs from "Below The Lights." Excellent sound, filmed in Poland.. of course!

6 unreleased audio tracks, a nice long interview and a bunch of other shit.

It's about 115 minutes.

Now I need to get the Star One dvd and the Rotting Christ dvd. Oh, and the new Manowar dvd!

Papa Josh said:
Now I need to get the Star One dvd and the Rotting Christ dvd. Oh, and the new Manowar dvd!

Chief B is a big Star One fan - he's doing the review. We've got the live promo right now - Arjen's guitar work is much, much better live than in the studio.

Anyway, didn't realize Dan Swano was on Star One...was he listed?

Also, which Ayreon release did Bruce Dickinson sing on? Is it any good?

In regards to the Enslaved dvd, there is a song called Slephur, or something like that, recorded in 2000, never released anywhere, great quality, sounds like a left over track from Blodhemn. Ther are 4 pre-production tracks from Frost, sound quality up and down, then there is a recording of a song called Viking Metal. 3 new songs from Below The Lights..

I am a bit pissed as there isn't one song from either Eld or Blodhemn, two of my favorite Enslaved cds..

And as far as the Ayreon cds, I like the second disc, Flight Of The Migrator very much. Much better than first one, The Dream Sequencer...
Picked up Opeth "Damnation" today at Best Buy. Ordered Gathering "Souvenirs" from the End.

lizard said:
grabbed Opeth - Damnation on Friday. damn good stuff.

The evolution of Damnation for me....at first I didn't like it. After a few listens, I thought it was pretty good. And now I don't seem to listen to it at all.

Although I know it's an accompanying piece to Deliverance, I just don't think it's going to be one Opeth album I keep going back to that often (unlike their others).

Also, no offence to any Opeth die hards, but Damnation comes across as being a tad pretentious to me. It's like they're trying a little too hard at this point perhaps?

JayKeeley said:
The evolution of Damnation for me....at first I didn't like it. After a few listens, I thought it was pretty good. And now I don't seem to listen to it at all.

Although I know it's an accompanying piece to Deliverance, I just don't think it's going to be one Opeth album I keep going back to that often (unlike their others).

Also, no offence to any Opeth die hards, but Damnation comes across as being a tad pretentious to me. It's like they're trying a little too hard at this point perhaps?

That crackrock you're smoking is clouding your judgement! I love Damanation, particularly In My Time Of Need and Windowpane. While I do wish their label had allowed them to release it as a double...

But I made my own tape, sequenced with both cds, so I have my own double album paced as I like it for my car.

Oh, and there's a song on the Enslaved dvd called As Fires Cleanse The Earth.... new one, fucking BRILLIANT!!!!!

Got the new Gathering cd, and I have to say I am a bit disappointed upon first listen. Look out for my upcoming review.

Papa Josh said:
That crackrock you're smoking is clouding your judgement! I love Damanation, particularly In My Time Of Need and Windowpane. While I do wish their label had allowed them to release it as a double...

Yeah those songs are great....but I'm already done with them. And Peter Lindgren is doing a really good impression of Mark Knopfler these days (and I mean that as a compliment).

I have Borknagar "Empiricism" in my car these days. Man, I think Vintersorg's vocals fucking RULE!

ref Damnation, I like it (by now most of you have noticed I'm not a growlvocal guy)...but I would tend to being such a fan of Porcupine Tree. With Steven Wilson continuing his mutual admiration society with Akerfeldt, his presence is felt large on this CD. One of the "criticisms" I often see on boards is the elitism of opeth fans in general and I think that is a byproduct of the fact that the band has always incorporated a variety of elements into their proggy black trip...issuing this cd separately from Deliverance is a neat sidestep of the ever popular "sellout" cries that accompany a band making a bold, different statement. this way, if you are a purist you needn't buy Damnation, and vice versa (me).
probably my favorite is "In My Time of Need," cut two.

lizard said:
this way, if you are a purist you needn't buy Damnation, and vice versa (me).

That's just the thing though Lizard - it's the fan boys that will like anything Opeth release no matter what it sounds like. That, or any, elitism is retarded.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Damnation just for what it is, not for what it compares to.

And besides, it's not like I hate the CD, it just tires a little quick...

Status
Not open for further replies.