My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JayKeeley said:
Skepticism - "Lead and Aether" turned up yesterday morning.

This album RULES. So depressing. Track 2 is just one of the coolest things ever. Total dooooom. I've stolen this suggestion from someone else, but I reckon it'd sound better with beautiful female vocals rather than what they do. The vocals are the worst part about the band IMO.

"The March And The Stream" must be one of the most perfect songs ever. It is all I've heard from that album, but I have "Stormcrowfleet", and that one's wonderful as well... Blah. I need all Skepticism releases.

The vocals are perfect for the style IMO. I wouldn't want anything higher that would be a contrast to the music.

phyre said:
I wouldn't want anything higher that would be a contrast to the music.

I know it'd be a contrast. That's kinda why I thought it'd sound cool. Maybe it wouldn't, I dunno. It's not that the vocals are bad. I see what you're saying though.

I think female vocals have their place in a lot of doom metal, but Skepticism is just so dark and murky that I wouldn't want anything beautiful "polluting" the overall feel. Of course, there is an inherent beauty in what they're doing, only different from that of slightly less extreme doom bands...

I think the extreme darkness of most of the music really enhances the few more traditionally melancholic moments where the music lightens up a bit, like the string synth bits in the end of "The March And The Stream" which are absolutely breathtaking. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense here, but...

phyre said:
I think the extreme darkness of most of the music really enhances the few more traditionally melancholic moments where the music lightens up a bit, like the string synth bits in the end of "The March And The Stream" which are absolutely breathtaking. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense here, but...

You know, this is so fucking spooky - I have this CD playing, and the strings section just kicked in...weird.

We need to get Red Stream on board with us....

Re: female vocals, I guess it depends on the style. I'm not too keen on the whole operatic style - it needs to be fucking grimm for something like Skepticism, otherwise you end up venturing towards the boundaries of Autumn Tears or something...

JayKeeley said:
Re: female vocals, I guess it depends on the style. I'm not too keen on the whole operatic style - it needs to be fucking grimm for something like Skepticism, otherwise you end up venturing towards the boundaries of Autumn Tears or something...
Have you heard the Finnish doom band UNHOLY? On their great album "Gracefallen", they have these really high, soaring female vocals that are just excellent. No operatic vibrato or anything, just really ethereal stuff that seems to float on top of the music and gives good contrast to the male growls while managing to avoid the "beauty and the beast" type silliness that is so overused by lesser bands... Those are good female vocals IMO. I'm definitely with you on not really likeing the "operatic" stuff.

Sounds good. Are the clean female vocals ever sung concurrently with the male death vocals? That always works well with me.
Yes, well, there's a bit of everything. Some songs have only female vocs, some only male growls, some have 'em both mixed in various ways. I really recommend the "Gracefallen" album if you find it.

Anyway, bought Skyclad "Wayward Sons of Mother Earth" used today.

Overkill "Killbox 13" (one of their best in many, many years)

Dark Throne "Hate Them"

Seven Witches "Passage To The oTher Side" (courtesy of a very cool industry contact)

I also needed some tapes for my car, so I stopped at Half Price Books and picked up

Nuclear Assault "Game Over"
Nuclear Assault "Handle With Care"
Nuclear Assault "Survive"
Sepultura "Beneath The Remains"
Liege Lord "Master Control" (for those of you not in the know, Liege Lord was on Metal Blade and features current Annihilator vocalist/ex-Overkill guitarist Joe Comeau)

Saigon Kick s/t

Papa Josh said:
Overkill "Killbox 13" (one of their best in many, many years)

Dark Throne "Hate Them"

Seven Witches "Passage To The oTher Side" (courtesy of a very cool industry contact)

I also needed some tapes for my car, so I stopped at Half Price Books and picked up

Nuclear Assault "Game Over"
Nuclear Assault "Handle With Care"
Nuclear Assault "Survive"
Sepultura "Beneath The Remains"
Liege Lord "Master Control" (for those of you not in the know, Liege Lord was on Metal Blade and features current Annihilator vocalist/ex-Overkill guitarist Joe Comeau)

Saigon Kick s/t

Add to that the new Enslaved dvd on its way to my mailbox!!

Opeth - Damnation
Pretty good, however not quite what I expected. All the reviews I have read labeled it as 70s prog, and I completely disagree. It's just mellow sounding Opeth, which is quite good.

Dissection - Live Legacy
Awesome set, but the title is quite misleading. I was expecting more than just 7 songs from the same concert on a disc called LEGACY. The liner notes are cool, but other than that it is nothing more than your average decently recorded live album. They were (and will be again?) one of the best live bands ever though.

Status
Not open for further replies.