My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I know I'll listen to them again and again so I should buy them. Thanks though, always appreciate the offer. :)

Rorschach - Autopsy

If it's like old Cathedral, then probably. I've been pulling out Forest of Equilibium and Ethereal Mirror a lot lately. And Soul Sacrifice was a nice 24 minute 4 song EP.

I ordered Harbinger of Metal because I heard RB's cover of Burzum's "Dunkelheit". I'll get crucified for that one but I'll say it anyway: It slays the original.

Got these in from CD Baby:

Alex Skolnick Trio - Goodbye to Romance: Standards For a New Generation
Alex Skolnick turns hard rock classics into excellent jazz songs. I can't say I like any of the original songs, except maybe War Pigs (though I like Sacred Reich's version of it best), but I do enjoy these jazz versions. I picked up an extra copy to get the discount, so if anyone wants it, we can work out a trade possibly.

David Fiuczynski - JazzPunk
Excellent fusion from Fuze. Not as good as his more recent KiF, but definitely a cool disc. Fusion fans will likely dig it.

Scott Jones - Freedom
This is a hit and miss disc for me. Some of the songs are excellent fusion with insane instrumentation, while others are more straightforward jazz. Also, the drum tone needs work (is it a drum machine?). Overall I enjoy it, but I would have preferred to have the whole disc be like the sample song I heard. But I'm a tech nerd, so what do I know?

Light Pupil Dilate - Cascades
Excellent metalcore disc. The closest comparison is probably Keelhaul. It's not as technical as Mastodon or as insane as Today is the Day, but there's a lot going on here. It might not be crazy enough for Dreamlord to take notice :p, but I dig it.

Proto - Proto
The samples were oh so cool, sounding almost like Tool played with violins. Unfortunately the coolest parts were in the samples. It's still a pretty good disc, but there's a bit of a nu-metal tinge to part of it, or maybe it's grunge, I dunno. The cool moments are very cool, I just wish they'd stick with them throughout the disc.

Tregenza - Tregenza
This sounds like Technician meets Veruca Salt. Female-fronted alternative rock meets indie math rock. I dig it, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Also, just ordered these from Laser's Edge:
Frameshift - Unweaving the Rainbow
Trey Gunn - The Third Star
Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
Kopecky - Sunset Gun

Not much metal there, I'll have to get a metal haul sometime soon.

Brom the Barbarian Wrath sale, all but Morrigan and Toxic Holocaust (they were 10€) st me 7€ a piece
Hades - The Dawn Of The Dying Sun CD
Behemoth - Grom CD
Mayhem - Live In Leipzig CD
Wrath666-o15 Morrigan - Enter The Sea Of Flames CD
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines CD
Toxic Holocaust - Evil Never Dies CD

Erik said:
Please tell me if Branikald are any good or not.

Stormheit got my thumbs up. Very very raw, vocals barely just bleed out of the white noise that is the music. Strangely enthralling. I recommend it :)

Still need to listen to To Kampf...the intro is nice :)

Bathory - Nordland I
Johnny Truant - The Repercussions Of A Badly Planned Suicide

I agree with the first part, replacing "very" with "ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY STUNNINGLY" and disagree with the second part. Suitably bleak. What I have is the re-issue though, and it is possible though not likely that it's been re-mastered. Does your version say "RE-ISSUE TWO THOUSANDS" in the lower right corner of the back of the booklet?

Status
Not open for further replies.