My Latest Purchases Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I have the re-issue, and no, it was not remastered.

this arrived today:

Visceral Evisceration - Incessant Desire for Palatable Flesh

Didn't check the mail yet, I'll go after the Simpsons.

Took a superman dive the first hour getting to Death Valley and now I have a sprained wrist and all kinds of cool soon-to-be-scar scabs. :kickass:

Also took a shitload of pictures that I'll actually post online for a change.

Black Winter Day said:
okay... i just listened to that neurosis CD... and it is some of the most boring, overrated shit i have heard in a long while. why in the hell are so many people nutting over these guys? and don't give me any shit like "you just don't like the -core in it". wrong, i couldn't give a shit about the "core" in it, i am more concerned with the "sleep" in it. isis did this stuff right with "oceanic"... this, however, is composed of boring-as-hell, simple-as-hell guitar patterns, some of them consisting of an amazing two notes. no, i don't hate simplistic music if it is EFFECTIVE, i.e. creates a mood, sounds good, etc. these little guitar noodlings and "weavings" (see isis) do nothing except force me to focus my attention on something else... or getting away from this banality by simply going to sleep. the heavy parts are okay, but only decent at best. this album is about an hour too long, seriously. so... very... tired... someone is bound to tell me "it will grow on you with more listens". aha! but it does not INTEREST me! every cd that has grown on me after time i was at least mildly interested in after first listen ("this has potential"), but this... i do not feel compelled to ever listen to ever again. what in the HELL... i'll give it a few more spins, hopefully it will stir the insomniac in me and i will at least be able to stay awake during it. i love experimental music, but i am no somnambulist. maybe this is just not my thing.
i'm starting to realize that i was a semi-idiot when i wrote this.

it's growing...

Well, you're a semi-idiot anyway.....hahaha. I rule.

Seriously, like I said, that is my least fave Neurosis album. Everything else they've done is much harder....and better IMO.

Keep at it.

Well, you're a semi-idiot anyway.....hahaha. I rule.
and to think i was going to send those cathedral cds tomorrow... :D

Seriously, like I said, that is my least fave Neurosis album. Everything else they've done is much harder....and better IMO.
yeah, that was probably my biggest complaint with the album... i was expecting crushing heaviness with some slower sections, but this is, for the most part, subdued. it's pretty good, though. when i first heard it i was just expecting something different entirely...

After a few months of not buying anything .. i was in the mood for some grind ... so

INSISION - Beneath the Folds of Flesh
EXHUMED - Anatomy is Destiny

Both RC reviewed reccomendations :)

A Sun That Never Sets is excellent, IMO. I'd probably put it 4th in the Neurosis catalog, behind Souls at Zero, Times of Grace, and The Word As Law.

But, yeah, if you go in expecting crushing metalcore, you'll be disappointed. It's like doomcore or something (am I the only one sick of genres?); really slowly built up with lots of atmosphere. All Neurosis discs are like that, except the debut.

jimbobhickville said:
A Sun That Never Sets is excellent, IMO. I'd probably put it 4th in the Neurosis catalog, behind Souls at Zero, Times of Grace, and The Word As Law.
Perhaps I need to listen to The Word as Law again. I rarely, if ever, listen to that one. Not that I thought it was bad, but because when I wanna hear Neurosis, I want Times of Grace or TSIB or SOuls at Zero.

I shall listen to it tonight. If you haven't heard it, the Sovereign EP is really good as well.

HarmonyDies.... said:
What's Johnny Truant? It sounds interesting.
I haven't listened to the CD yet but I saw 'em supporting Raging Speedhorn a year ago and it's basically...hardcore? I guess. Sounded good in the live setting, the pit was brutal, but I dunno if it'll take my fancy in this medium. I just got it copied because I could :loco:

Hammerfall - Legacy Of Kings, Crimson Thunder

Status
Not open for further replies.