my latest work (with more bass)

Wtf! How is dave o able to hear that? loool Bass is always my worst enemy in mixing, and I'm a bass player :p

I'm trying to listen to that and I can't spot that, when you say hollow you mean 'lack off'? I think it could still benefit from a bit of more low-end in the whole mix, not much, just a bit

Killer mix btw

The sound is great man!!!!
Do you try pod Farm for bass. I realy like it for bass, not for guitars. I dont understand how you get just amazing guitar tunes out of a pod?????!!!!!???I´m using my fucking pod xt for about 3 years now and my tone is so far away from good!!!

How do you record the drums. Do you record the natural drumkit and put the slate samples on the bassdrum, toms and snare?
What about the cymbals. They are sounding great too!!!!

great work as always man

The sound is great man!!!!
Do you try pod Farm for bass. I realy like it for bass, not for guitars. I dont understand how you get just amazing guitar tunes out of a pod?????!!!!!???I´m using my fucking pod xt for about 3 years now and my tone is so far away from good!!!

How do you record the drums. Do you record the natural drumkit and put the slate samples on the bassdrum, toms and snare?
What about the cymbals. They are sounding great too!!!!

great work as always man

i basically made my own DFHS for this record. we tracked all real drums but considering the technicality of the hand and foot work, we had to do it all with samples.

so i recorded his cymbals being played in every possible way and made a buntch of drumagogs of it all

then went through every song, by hand, and put in what he played

the drum sounds are slate samples

and i am the pod king

harmonic exciter (in tape mode) -> ozone
widening -> waves shuffler

Your very crafty with plugins and use them in ways most people would never think! I must ask what freq range your adding the harmonic exciter on with ozone on the guitar buss?

Oh i also must ask when your using the doubler on vocals harmonies and such, are you panning it right or left and adding that doubler plug?

Also your the god of pod, fuck the king shit...

Great mix by the way! :headbang:

Your very crafty with plugins and use them in ways most people would never think! I must ask what freq range your adding the harmonic exciter on with ozone on the guitar buss?

Oh i also must ask when your using the doubler on vocals harmonies and such, are you panning it right or left and adding that doubler plug?

Also your the god of pod, fuck the king shit...

Great mix by the way! :headbang:

you need to put the mono vocal take on a stereo track
and the doubler is last in the chain but before any delay's or reverbs

then you use the 2-doubler (gives you two virtual voices)

and i literally just click on the "basic doubler" preset, then close the window

lol

Great mix, and I'm very surprised (as many others) at how well you can make a POD sound!
Upon hearing their older mix of this song from Electric Angel Studios I like what you did with this one better for sure. The kick sample suits the music more, and the trem picking riffs are cleaner. I'm not too keen on the clean singing part, but what you did with the voice was very cool.

I've played with them at a few shows before, and they seem fairly clean live.
But I'm curious, how clean are they in the studio? Were there lots and lots of takes to get things nice and tight or did they pretty much fly through the songs?

I apologize for not being able to give any constructive criticism, since this is out of my league, but nice job!

Great mix, and I'm very surprised (as many others) at how well you can make a POD sound!
Upon hearing their older mix of this song from Electric Angel Studios I like what you did with this one better for sure. The kick sample suits the music more, and the trem picking riffs are cleaner. I'm not too keen on the clean singing part, but what you did with the voice was very cool.

I've played with them at a few shows before, and they seem fairly clean live.
But I'm curious, how clean are they in the studio? Were there lots and lots of takes to get things nice and tight or did they pretty much fly through the songs?

I apologize for not being able to give any constructive criticism, since this is out of my league, but nice job!

the myspace versoin "architect new" was recorded with chris rubey, any older versions were electric angel

not keen on the clean singing part? these are the best sounding vocals this band will ever get.

i dont know about you, but recording these kind of riffs doesnt really involve hitting record and GO! its more like building riffs out of small peices of sound...

I think it sounds great. Everything sounds big and yet nothing is buried, everything is clear. I could possibly go for a touch more low end like mentioned before.

Just listened to the version on their myspace. Like your version a lot more.
Band kinda reminds me of Darkest Hour for some reason.

Listened to this and then one of my mixes... so depressing.

Sounds great. In my opinion the vocals need a cut somewhere around 1khz, they are a bit nasal/honky (don't know if it's the right words). Also, I agree with Dave on the 150hz thing. I think the kick is ok the way it is but the mix could be a bit fuller.

Man..

Holy SHIT at the vocals at about 1;00. Unbelievable. Perhaps a bit too loud (they completely drown out ALL the instruments at that point) but I don't know if I really mind, they're so brutal it could be acapella and I'd still love it.

Do agree on the bass issue. I think the subs are fine, its just the lows (100-200Hz) that need a bit of beefing.
That and the kick on its own at like 1;20 - the subs sound really triggered while the highs sound natural. Not sure what you can do there - maybe some automation for an EQ to make it seem like the volume of the subs is changing sutbtley (how do you spell that?!)?

I remember someone saying you posted a patch for the POD, where can I find that?

the myspace versoin "architect new" was recorded with chris rubey, any older versions were electric angel

not keen on the clean singing part? these are the best sounding vocals this band will ever get.

i dont know about you, but recording these kind of riffs doesnt really involve hitting record and GO! its more like building riffs out of small peices of sound...

Ah yes my mistake.

I just don't care for the style of singing, its just my personal taste. In an objective viewpoint it's very good, and what you did production wise was incredible.

Would you care to elaborate a bit more on "building riffs out of small pieces of sound" ?

im just not hearing the bass problems... maybe i need to post an updated mix and see if thats more kosher with everyone.... i dont want to send this out until i correct the problems each of you have brought up.