My mix test (Swallow the sun style)

kaamosprod

Mikka
Apr 17, 2009
Paris - France
Hey

Please give all your advices on these two mixes, all criticism are welcomed, i need to improve this...

Please try to listen all the song because there's different sections with more synths and ambiences...

Test 1 :

Test 2 (guitars more mids)

This is just a mix, nothing is mastered.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it. I think the hi-hat is too hardpanned, sounds a bit weird, and I would give the bass some more "sustain", specially on the clean guitar parts, more compression, or not cutting it so early in the hits (that would mean re-recording). But overall, it's a pretty balanced, well sounding mix IMO. Just the programmed drums kinda kill it, the tom fills also sound way too robotic and the tone is too "round" and "perfect" for the style if you know what I mean, I would make them thinner with some more transient attack.

Thanks a lot for your comments, it really helps me to point things that I don't see.

I know what you mean for the bass. it is a part muted with fingers, but I will record again with normal picking.

Regarding the drum, to be honest all hits are at 127 velocity. it can be the reason why it sounds very robotic.

And don't you think that the overall mix is too harsh and not enough low ?

I agree with DanLights about the hit hat, even the rest of the overheads seems to hardpanned.

I would do some automation to the reverb in the kick drum, when the heavy guitars come in, I would take off the reverb.

The bass is there and I hear low end but I can hear much definition of what the bass is doing. This is probably the most evident problem in my point of view. Otherwise good mix.

Hey Nuno ! good to see you

Very good advice on the reverb automation. I will try that.

Regarding Bass, what could I do in order to hear what the bass is doing ?

My personal point of view is that my mix lacks low end and is not powerful, I don't like the tone of my guitars as well, to harsh...

I don't think there's a lack of low end, but I do think the bass transient attack is lost under the kick, in fact I would record it with a pick instead of fingers, but a lot of finger players can also achieve that transient definition just as well, listen to Daylight Dies for example.

And yeah, it's obvious there's no velocity or tempo variation in the drums, I think the mix would benefit a lot from some basic humanization (manual though, I've tried using Reaper's "humanize" function and it turns out so random it just sounds weird, like something's wrong with the midi and some hits are just too hard or out of time)

I like the guitars, they are a bit mid heavy but they fit the style. Well you can cut some high frequencies if you think that they are harsh. Look from 1kz to 4khz, this area has frequently some nasty shit. You can reduce also your Low pass filter.

Well the bass is a common problem. It´s played with a pick? If not, try with a pick. Well, in my experience, the bass it´s one of those instruments that sometimes needs to be eq a lot to have a good sound, dont be afraid of doing some extreme eq, if needed. If you want definition, you must remove the junk first, look at 120hz to 250hz, add some brightness at 2khz to 5khz, and if needed, do a boost at 60hz to 90hz. Use a multiband compressor to control the low end. A thing that helps to have definition it´s to use some kind of tube screamer but I dont know if it will fit in this kind of music.

1000 Thanks for your advices !

It helps a lot.

The bass is played with pick on the distortion parts and with fingers for cleans parts. I will record once again the bass in the clean section with a pick.

I will try to work hard on humanization + smoother panning on the hi hat and cymbals and and I will work on bass eq and compression like you mentioned.

I will Erase mid frequencies of the guitars as well.

Good idea about the tubescreamer on bass Nuno, I actually used a real tubescreamer in front of the amp for my band's album, it gave the high end some great definition, check out the intro of this song where the bass is soloed, and the rest of the song to see how it fits with the guitars and everything else, I don't know if it's what you're looking for kaamos, but it's an example of what I (and I think Nuno as well) are trying to explain about the bass.

Last edited by a moderator: