My motherboard has died :(

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Well, I was thinking it was strange to have a 'normal' month - everything was going well, our daughters healthy, I finally found some time to rest. Everything was really fine until today.

I installed Lion on my MacBook Pro and everything was GREAT but I didn't test it yet with my Saffire or Cubase or anything audio related. My wife asked to track some vocals for her debut solo CD, i started my Saffire and ..OF COURSE, it didn't work :) Went to the Focusrite website and currently it does not work under Lion. OK, connected it to my Hackintosh, a Q6600 quad-core, turned it on and...nothing. To make 4 hours of testing short, The motherboard is dead, there's just one model of boards with the LGA775 socket AND that supports DDR2 (and I just bought 4gb more) AND it only supports up to 4gb, so the 6gb I had will be shortened. Btw, I can't buy a whole new system right now as I just bought my wife a i3 with one of those mini-itx boards.

On a 'funny' note, i picked up my mom's computer to test my parts and found out that someone stole 2gb of ram from her computer - they switched apartments with a neighbor and on the move, the computer stayed at their place for 2 days and the memory was probably stolen then. And they're kinda rich, have a nice Mercedes, a big Ford pickup and a Harley Davidson - and need to steal $40 worth of memory. NICE!

Well, tomorrow I will buy that single board that's available here in Brazil and have fun reinstalling my stuff :)

Possibly too late now, but what's the condition of the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard? Have any of them "burst"/swollen? (You didn't list any symptoms but this is my first thought.) I've ended up having to replace caps twice on my MSI motherboard. Sometimes the caps can look alright, but after closer inspection are found to be slightly swollen. Cheaper than buying a new motherboard (And RAM+CPU depending on it's age) and worth a shot if you haven't really got anything to lose. "He's dead already."

The main symptom for mine was that the power LED would come on but there would be no signal going to the monitor. (Presumably couldn't POST due to lack of functioning memory.) The second time, I was greeted with a lovely BSOD regarding memory error prior to this, after a hard reset.

The main symptom for mine was that the power LED would come on but there would be no signal going to the monitor. (Presumably couldn't POST due to lack of functioning memory.) The second time, I was greeted with a lovely BSOD regarding memory error prior to this, after a hard reset.

I'm actually dealing with that right now, but mines probably due to water damage...