My Murder cover

This one is indeed a good cover. Vocals should be louder as mentioned above. But if you ask my own opinion, they should also sound more growlish or you could add some backing deeper growls. Tapping part doesn't sound good enough, I know you can do better than that. Overall deserves a 4.5/5.

Somehow, I love the drums. They have more, dunno, feeling in them.

But I agree on the vocals, they could be a bit deeper to give them more.. whatisitcalled... depth, I think.

But anyway: beautifully done.

Thanks a lot for the comments!
About the vocals, well I am able to go way deeper with my voice, but since this is "officially" a cover from my black metal project, I'd prefer to keep using the same kind of vocals for every Toorn song.
And concerning the tapping part... I'm pleased with it :p I'm not changing it. Most other covers simply ignore this part and don't record it at all.

That's right but anyway I said it's ok. Because I already knew that your gonna tell us you will keep the vocals like that corcerning your black metal project. ;) Anyway It's a cover not a copy-over.

The vocals are a whirwind of dubs and/or time-modulating effects, sounds kind of cool but it's impossible to hear what you're screams really sound like.

Sounds great overall, and true to the original. What drumsamples do you use, Addictive drums?

Listening to it now, and I must say, it's great. Vocals remind me of In Lingua Mortua's style somewhat. Good job!
One Katatonia song that I'd love to record is Brave. Dunno why, but I love the tapping in that song and... well, everything about the song in general

There's a lot of programs you can find for free to use. I've done recording using a program called Cool Edit Pro 2, some people use one called goldwave, and so on. I find cool edit easy to use, and it does te job if you know what you're doing. Those are just the 'free' options though, if you want top quality stuff you'll need to fork out some cash for pro tools or cubase.

When I did my own recordings, I'd use either a cheapo pc mic, or plug the guitar straight into the computer via a 16w bass amp I had. since selling the amp to get my new(old) laney/marshall stack, it's been rater difficult now. I find it takes a lot of fucking around, and searching til you find what you like best for the job. It's good fun!

About the vocals, you guys are right, but I used my "basic Toorn settings", I mean I made my own Pro Tools templates to achieve the same sound for every song I make, and since Toorn is a bit Nargaroth-ish, the vocals are that style too. That means a lot of reverb and delay :) But I'm tweaking Murder a bit, cos it doesn't fit it as much as my own songs.

I use Addictive Drums indeed, and I use Pro Tools for recording.

It sounds very good indeed! What interfaces or soundcards etc did you go through? And did you just record your guitar directly into the comp?

Well since there seems to be some interest in how I record my stuff... I'll explain it all.

I run Pro Tools with a Digitech Mbox2 (some kind of Pro Tools exclusive interface card)
I connect my MIDI keyboard to the Mbox, and route the MIDI signal through Addictive Drums, which is a pretty cool drum plugin, compatible with most good audio software.
When the drums are finished, I record the guitars... This one is recorded with my Mayones
I plug my guitar into the Mbox, use the Amplitube plugin (tweaked, not presets) and record all guitars.
For a 2nd and a 3rd guitar layer I use my Hughes & Kettner Triamp, 2 Shure SM57's against the speakers (Greenbacks) and do a couple of overdubs for all riffs. Leads are usually 1 layer.
Vocals are recorded with a Shure SM58, and bass is recorded with an Ibanez 4 string through a Hartke combo, with one SM57 against the speaker.
That's pretty much all there is to tell.

this sounds great man.

i'd put some more reverb on the keyboard perhaps, or add a note or two more during some chords.. but that's just my taste ;) and it's a tiny detail, the most important stuff (riffs, vox, bass) are superkool.

:kickass: