My new baby!!

max out the master volume and put the channelvol between 9:00 and 10:00 for the desired volume.

I have a Dual Rectifier but I haven't tried this yet (can't play my amp at home, it'd blow the roof away)...

But I'm curious... does this way of setting the volume knobs make the amplifier sound louder and aggressive like it really should??? in the way that the power tubes are pushed to work at maximum power rate, or whatever...

I tried this setting at our rehearsal room, but with a Marshall Valvestate head, I did notice a slight difference in the tone, a bit more "ballsier", to put it someway. But I couldn't really tell because the VS is a solid state one...

I tried yesterday in my rehersal room the mesa with my band, and holy shit...it rulessssss!! my setting was this for rithm :
ss rectifier
bold
channel 2
modern
pres: 11
Bass: 11:30
mid: 11:30
trb: 12:00
Gain: 12:30

Od9 with gain = 0, tone 9:00, level 15:00

Master of channel 2 at 9:00
Output to 10

I must work again with the recto, but I'm really happy about the result!!

Tachy, the OD9 should be fine, but I'd recommend picking up a TS7 (the cheap one, but I love mind :D) just to compare! It still has the same circuitry and op-amp as the TS9. Glad it worked out for you at rehearsal dude! :headbang:

I tried yesterday in my rehersal room the mesa with my band, and holy shit...it rulessssss!! my setting was this for rithm :
ss rectifier
bold
channel 2
modern
pres: 11
Bass: 11:30
mid: 11:30
trb: 12:00
Gain: 12:30

Od9 with gain = 0, tone 9:00, level 15:00

Master of channel 2 at 9:00
Output to 10

I must work again with the recto, but I'm really happy about the result!!

I told you it'd rule! :)

Ibanez ts7?

Yessir!

TS7TS9PROOF.jpg

just for the record, the opamp chips in any OD hardly makes a distinguishable difference. I remember hearing/seeing a video that did comparisons by replacing the chip and playing the same sample, while changing the tone, it was more than trivial. Its the circuit itself that will match the tone.

AFAIK, the Boss SD-1 is identical in circuitry as a TS9, however the TS9 with a different value filter cap (doesn't roll off as much bass) and an even number of clipping diodes (which results in more even order distortion (solid state sounding, fatter bottom and smoother top end)). The SD-1 is the same price as the TS7 and is cheaper than the Digitech Bad Monkey. My recommendation, since it is known for being edgier than any of the TS.

Just don't buy into the chip myth, that's the only reason the TS9 and 808 cost as much as they do, and the only difference is a mere 80 cent chip.

Well I certainly don't buy into the myth, hence why I own a TS7, but honestly, none of the things you've described as being characteristic of the SD-1 appeal to me personally! (especially the lesser amount of bass cut, cuz that is...ahem...QUITE necessary with the amp in question here :D)

Well I certainly don't buy into the myth, hence why I own a TS7, but honestly, none of the things you've described as being characteristic of the SD-1 appeal to me personally! (especially the lesser amount of bass cut, cuz that is...ahem...QUITE necessary with the amp in question here :D)

you read me wrong, the SD-1 can cut more bass than a TS9, as the SD-1 has a smaller value cap.

Also as I was saying with the SD-1 has odd number diodes, it excites the odd order harmonics just like a triode, and an even number of diodes excites the even order harmonics like a transistor. The way i see it is that exciting the same harmonics that a tube amp excites is a better way to help that amp shine and do what it does. Its also interesting to know that odd number harmonics are more musical to the human ear and aren't as ear fatiguing as even order harmonics, and the fundamental note is an odd order harmonic so with that kind of clipping you will have a stronger foundation.

For that reason, I have not desired to move over to the Ibanez flavors, even though I am moderately interested in checking out a Maxon OD808, it really doesn't bother me

When I read the thread title and saw the subforum, I thought you just had a child and were listing it under equipment. oops

Marcus if you havent given the sd-1 a shot, you really should dude, I went to guitar center and tried everything they had and ended up liking the sd-1 and the bad monkey best for my dual solo 3 channel boy. I had the ts7 first and it didnt yank my crank.

Yeah, I may pick one up to test (when I get another amp :cry: ), and also a TS9 as well, just for the fuck of it, and then keep the winner and sell the losers!