My new bizarre "Guitar-Rig"

what?
Actually all the impulses been posted on here are the response of :
poweramp->cab->mic.
So if blackbird post an IR of that radio, what he's gonna do is the response of
poweramp, or let's say the preamp (I don't think he's bypassing the pre section)->speaker->mic.

kaomao said:
what?
Actually all the impulses been posted on here are the response of :
poweramp->cab->mic.
So if blackbird post an IR of that radio, what he's gonna do is the response of
poweramp, or let's say the preamp (I don't think he's bypassing the pre section)->speaker->mic.

I mean it is impossible to capture preamp and poweramp saturation only speaker's and mic's frequency response.

Just try to set your preamp to high gain and capture the impulse, then put your guitar through this impulse and it will sound clean (and horrible) - no distortion.

The idea is to capture the impulse of the poweramp, cab, mic and mic preamp, then you run your preamp through this impulse, with the signal already distorted. It then sounds like your preamp is running through their poweramp/cab/mic/mic preamp (their being the person who created the impulse).

cobhc said:
The idea is to capture the impulse of the poweramp, cab, mic and mic preamp, then you run your preamp through this impulse, with the signal already distorted. It then sounds like your preamp is running through their poweramp/cab/mic/mic preamp (their being the person who created the impulse).

Oh the language barrier :cry:

The best way to capture an IR of cab, mic and mic preamp is to use a 100% Hifi chain before the cab.

Convolution can't capture saturation it's just not how it works.
If it could there would be no need for ampsims you would just capture your 5150 and use the impulse.

ReliXKeepeR said:

Lololololololol ! :heh:

Just go to Noisevault forum and ask the experts if it possible to capture IR of dynamics altering equipment like a distortion, a preamp or a poweramp (non solid state), a compressor or an expander.

The only useful thing Dimitar can capture is his mic and room reverb, because the cab is Hifi and i'm pretty sure that Hifi cabs have (depending on their quality) a very flat frequency response.

Ok we're capturing a static situation... but hey man if on my 5150 I set the resonance to 5 and record it and then I set it to 2 and record this too, the resulted impulses are different. They won't sound the same.
Tell me why people are capturing eq units or pod impulses then ???
I found a guy on the net who captured the response of all amps on the old pod 2.0.
He set all controls flat, what he had was a vast array of pod sounds, you can't set the bass or mids to your likings but you have a "picture of that particular situation"
Read this

kaomao said:
Ok we're capturing a static situation... but hey man if on my 5150 I set the resonance to 5 and record it and then I set it to 2 and record this too, the resulted impulses are different. They won't sound the same.
Tell me why people are capturing eq units or pod impulses then ???
I found a guy on the net who captured the response of all amps on the old pod 2.0.
He set all controls flat, what he had was a vast array of pod sounds, you can't set the bass or mids to your likings but you have a "picture of that particular situation"
Read this

Convolution is a linear process.
Convolution can emulate:
speakers
equalizers and very basic filters
reverbs and room sound
delay
etc.

Convolution can not emulate:
distortions
tube preamps
tube poweramps
compressors
expanders
pitch shifters
advanced filters (self oscillating for example)
etc.

Obviously convolution is pretty much pointless if you want to emulate Hifi speakers because they just (try to) output as unchanged sound as possible.

ReliXKeepeR said:
Nope, you cannot make them! Go and ask some experts in the Noisevault Forum ;)

:heh: :heh: :heh:

Of course he can but they will not sound like a real thing.

:yow: You gave me an idea !!! :yow:

I will make millions selling IRs of hifi speakers and even better...

of studio monitors !!! :lol: (Genelec etc) and even better !!!!!

I will make a pure white noise IR and i will sell it as an impulse of a perfect studio monitor !!!

Mutant said:
Obviously convolution is pretty much pointless if you want to emulate Hifi speakers because they just (try to) output as unchanged sound as possible.

Actually most hi-fi speakers boost the highs and lows to make the audio sound more "Hi-Fi" as most non-audiophile listeners prefer this sound. Where as monitor speakers output the signal as flat as possible.

cobhc said:
Actually most hi-fi speakers boost the highs and lows to make the audio sound more "Hi-Fi" as most non-audiophile listeners prefer this sound. Where as monitor speakers output the signal as flat as possible.

Sure most of them do it and i don't see how it can be beneficial in a guitar->amp recording situation
I wonder where is the line separating non-audiophile and audiophile speakers ?