Wagner and reaper as my live guitar rig!

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Just thought I'd show ye guys what I've started doing as my live rig.

Guitar ->AB box-> firepod DI inputs-> Reaper -> Firepod line outs -> Power amp line in-> Guitar cab

I've set it up so that I have 3 sounds, selectable using the AB box. The box goes between channel 1 and 2 of the Firepod.
I've got Wagner and reaeq on my 1st channel as my main dirty sound.
I switch channel 2 on the computer between clean and solo sounds, I'm using wagner again on the lead sound with reaeq and also the stillwell tempo delay!

Clean I'm not using any amp sims- just blockfish, reaeq, a phaser and tempo delay again. without the ampsim you have to cut alot of low mids and give a fairly hefty treble boost but its more lively than any of the ampsims I've tried, they seem to make it very dead sounding

So for some songs I can switch between dirty and solo, and other tunes by record enabling the clean instead of solo track I can switch between dirty and clean. I'm planning on explanding it with another AB box and Di so I can use any of the 3 channels instead of just the 2 at any time.

There's no issues with latency since i'm not running any cab simulation or reverbs. The clean and lead tones are super nice. The lead tone I got comes quite close to the solo tone john petrucci has on his live scenes cd/dvd solo.

Gotta work on the rhythm tone more to get it more meaty, seems VERY important to get the signal as hot as possible at the pre's so that you get the most out of Wagner. Once you get it hitting consistantly in the -3db range you're getting the most real tone.

Running the delay tempo plugin is savage- means that the delay is always in time regardless of how slow or fast we're playing the song without having to tap it in. I'm not aware of any pedals that do this.

I've used it at practise a few times and brought it to a gig at the weekend- not one problem. I've been bringing my destop though as I've yet to come across a laptop thats as reliable.

BEHOLD!

630_v-pedal1_01.jpg

http://www.smproaudio.com/produkte/v-machines/v-pedal.html

seems VERY important to get the signal as hot as possible at the pre's so that you get the most out of Wagner. Once you get it hitting consistantly in the -3db range you're getting the most real tone.

this is something i too have noticed with amp sims, try a bit of compression before Wagner to get the level up. its the fundamental difference between analogue and digital really, if it were a valve amp you could just boost the shit out of the front end but you cant do that without clipping in the digital world unfortunatly. :)

...Clean I'm not using any amp sims- just blockfish, reaeq, a phaser and tempo delay again. without the ampsim you have to cut alot of low mids and give a fairly hefty treble boost but its more lively than any of the ampsims I've tried, they seem to make it very dead sounding...

Just tried this. Sounds great. Thanks for the tip.