What's the Wagner/SoloC of bass guitar?

Oct 8, 2008
What's the King Fuck of all bass preamp VST plugins? ARE there any? I know Guitar Rig, Amplitube, Revalver, and Ampeg SVX exist, but they all lack that "free" characteristic.

I've tried a lot, and I've never liked the sounds I get from anything that costs money. Wagner, SoloC and Juicy77 are my go-to guitar preamp VSTs. What do people use for bass?

I often just use an Ampeg impulse, it has worked well enough for me. I only use DI signals at the moment as I don't have a reamp box, so I just slap the impulse onto the DI signal.

I usually use the Behringer BDI21 I've got for the DI, it's a cheap Sansamp copy (I think it costs around €40) but I think it sounds very good for the price. Just don't crank the drive on it, it gets really fizzy if you use too much of it.

I use Wagner on bass haha.
High pass, compress the DI track, copy the track, low pass and distort the top end with wagner.

Just a straight DI for the low-end (no amp sim or anything), then for the mids/highs either run it out to a guitar amp, tubescreamer, OD pedal, or PODFarm or something of the like which can give you nice bass grit. Guitar Rig 3 isn't too bad here either.

I usually use Warp in combination with a tubescreamer to get my grit.
Plexi channel with the greenback cab. Works like a charm!