My new mix PodFarm / Steven slate

RichMinerva

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2009
Hi guys iv not posted on here in a while solely because iv been bogged down with university work.

i recently did this mix i know its not very good however id really like some advice and critique if possible :)

oh and btw.. the bass is complete ass crackers, its a pitch shifted guitar with ampeg's svx plug in.

im too poor to go out and buy a bass ^_^

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3320336/minervamaybe.wav

Thanks for the input Zack

is there anything else you would suggest?

i can just retrack the right on side :)

stupid plectrum haha

unfortunately it was tracked very quickly when tbh i was rather overtired haha

ill get to some editing soon.

any ideas youd have for it yourselves?

I think the mix overall lacks presence/top end, and why is it brickwalled at -2.2dBFS? open it up to at least -0.7

I find that adding a high shelf at around 8k with about +6db makes the mix more pleasing to my ears

I think the mix overall lacks presence/top end, and why is it brickwalled at -2.2dBFS? open it up to at least -0.7

I find that adding a high shelf at around 8k with about +6db makes the mix more pleasing to my ears

Thanks for the advice :)

ill give that a shot tonight and repost an update and let you see how it sounds

The guitars are kind of overgained, they would get some clarity with less distortion.
Overall it is kind of muddy, but other than that it sounds sweet!

Hey guys

all i did was take arv_foh's advice,

ill give it a shot turning the gain down some more on my new mix. im using the cali treadplate model with gain only on 30%

any other advice? i actually re-done this track with a real bass since this post so ill have another pop tonight,

can anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to mastering? if i push my "classic master limiter" too much it crushes it like hell :/

Hey guys

all i did was take arv_foh's advice,

ill give it a shot turning the gain down some more on my new mix. im using the cali treadplate model with gain only on 30%

any other advice? i actually re-done this track with a real bass since this post so ill have another pop tonight,

can anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to mastering? if i push my "classic master limiter" too much it crushes it like hell :/

I used to use limiters on masters, I hate it.

Sometimes i set a ceiling. But just usually use a clipper plug in, compressor, eq, sometimes other stuff newb here too, but i am just messing around with settings and stuff, and also a lot of dudes on here have helped me out, just do a little searching