My new rig and production studio

metalkingdom

the kinder, gentler me
Jan 1, 2005
Yay!

station3.jpg

station.jpg

RFH.jpg

The comp (built by me) is a AMD X2 5200+ on a 2Ghz HT motherboard (with onboard 1394), 2 gigs DDR800, two Seagate 7200 SATA's with 16mb cache, true SATA Lightscribe enabled 20x DVD R/W(it's super fast!), a big IDE drive from my old comp, and an add on 1394 pci card.

Everything is working beautifully!

For mics, all I have right now is -

AT4060
Heil PR40
(2) ATM450
Audix i-5

I need a hat mic and (4) 57's and I'll be ready to roll. I'm planning on using my rig for location recording in rehearsal spaces, etc. and maybe in hotel rooms with some of my old clients when they are in the area while touring. The front door of my rack latches on to the side to make a table, which I'll use in place of the desk on location.

The best part is that music paid for this!!!

Man, that's a killer setup!

Two questions - what kind of DAW controller is that on the desk, and how do you like the TubePre? It looks a bit out of place under the Avalon and Mindprint. :lol:

BTW - how is the Saffire, converter/pre wise? I'm thinking about picking one up over the RME FireFace 400, because I could purchase that and an RNP for the same price as a FF400 alone.

Sweet! Another Rokit-8 user! I seem to remember you bashing on them though, metalkingdom, or at least metioning that you were unhappy with the low midrange response. For the most part I'm still quite happy with how my mixes translate.
By the way, how's that 8 channel Behringer headphone amp? I ended up getting the 4 channel one for my setup, because I read a whole lot of reviews mentioning that channels 7 and 8 were so noisy that they are basically unuseable (especially 8) because the power transformer was too close to them in the design.

The controller is a Radikal Technologies SAC-2K (updated to 2.2). It's really reliable and it's METAL - not plastic. The Tubepre is just for tracking scratch tracks, because it pretty much blows. I'm lovin' the Focusrite! It can't be beat for the $$$. It was a breeze to setup, and has lots of features...One of my favs being the monitor control with separate mute and dim switches.

Now that I've placed the RP8's on stands, they sound really sweet! The desk that I had them on before was acting as a passive sub, and probably canceling the low mids. The difference was quite dramatic. These monitors are a great value for the money. That being said, I'll probably sell these and get some Event SP8's...Maybe. :)

The Behringer is indeed noisy on channels 7 and 8 at high volumes, but it's just a headphone amp. It gets really, really loud and that's pretty much all that matters. I would've got the Alto like Oz suggested if I had known about it, though. The Behringer looks cooler...

The rack is heavy (around 300lbs/136kgs), but it's solid as fucc, is shock proof, and has really nice wheels. And like I said, the front panel attaches to the side and has legs to make a table. It's definitely portable. The KRK's will stay put. I'm gonna get some of those Tascam VL-S21's for mobile work.

The Reflexion Filter I bought just for the "wow factor" (and it gets lots of wow's). It works really well too!

My fridge is always stocked with Pellegrino and Perrier. I love 'em both!

The rack is heavy (around 300lbs/136kgs), but it's solid as fucc, is shock proof, and has really nice wheels.

Oh fuck! maybe I'm a pussy but 136kg is kinda heavy for me to carry aorund ahahah :lol::lol::lol::lol:
You know better have that rig than my digi002 rig ;), people are struck by those giant rigs, that stuff works great and last but not least it kinda looks cool!

My fridge is always stocked with Pellegrino and Perrier. I love 'em both!

San pellegrino is the shit indeed!
But I never thought that that water is exported throughout the entire world.
I hope you don't buy Peroni or Moretti beer, Italians can't make a decent beer ahahah italian homemade beer is great though :kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass:

cheers

Hey man, sweet rig for sure, would you mind sharing some info. on the radikal sac control surface, how's working for you so far? I'm about to pull the trigger on one but the lack of support from Radikal worries me a bit, which daw are you running? I've been thinking about setting up my rig in a similar fashion, for mobile recording, go work man, looks great! :kickass:

Hey man, sweet rig for sure, would you mind sharing some info. on the radikal sac control surface, how's working for you so far? I'm about to pull the trigger on one but the lack of support from Radikal worries me a bit, which daw are you running? I've been thinking about setting up my rig in a similar fashion, for mobile recording, go work man, looks great! :kickass:

Man... this thread is FOUR years old, and that guy doesn't even post here anymore.