My newest mix.. brutal criticism accepted. Tech death content

I like the mix as it is so far.

However the EP this is on will not be released for some time and I'd like to take some time to improve the mix.

Having a lot of trouble with this, however, because it's technical death metal.. seems like kind of the hardest type of music to mix, to me, and I'm not very good, in the first place.

I want more clarity in this mix.
Besides that, what else do you guys see could be improved in this?

EDIT:
Feel free to give this mix a go.

Download the stems here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9992828/Random Shit/Planetary Devastation MIX PACK.zip

I'd really love to hear the music from different aspects, in the sense of production.

Last edited by a moderator:
just saw my someone post your facebook page from his promotion page. i listened to the mix on there, sounds pretty ace. there are some apparent similarities to the contortionist but the production is sick

Glad you think so! I'm not too great at mixing but I'll admit I worked pretty hard on this.

Wish I could afford some better equipment so I wouldn't have to use POD Farm. But I like the tone. Just wish it was a bit more clear and have no idea how to get there from here :p

The mix sound very good! I think it might be a bit over-compressed in the master bus. The booms/low end whoomps make the mix distort. I think it might be destroying the mix a bit.

The mix sound very good! I think it might be a bit over-compressed in the master bus. The booms/low end whoomps make the mix distort. I think it might be destroying the mix a bit.

Ideally, I would have someone else do the mastering for me. Not sure if this is possible because cash is tight at the moment, but I'm definitely not a great ME.

Thanks for the compliment on the mix though. :D

I'd say the guitars could come up a hair and the real clarity key here is carving a little more space in the bass guitar. Otherwise this is a pretty great sounding starting point!

I'd say the guitars could come up a hair and the real clarity key here is carving a little more space in the bass guitar. Otherwise this is a pretty great sounding starting point!

I have the bass cranked up quite a bit. Unfortunately, the bass guitar used was a POS because I really like being able to hear the high end of the bass and there's no clank to this. Just a lot of pick noise. But it still gives a pleasing effect, to me. :p

I suppose I can try bringing the lows down a bit on the bass.

whats the settings that you used for the podfarm or PF2? sounds good some musical work is need but its pretty good, sounds like slate triggers too.

whats the settings that you used for the podfarm or PF2? sounds good some musical work is need but its pretty good, sounds like slate triggers too.

I used the TSS tube screamer sim > POD Farm treadplate amp > out to lecab with a mesa impulse
Then just a bit of EQ and comp.

I don't own SSD but I've collected a lot of samples. Some are probably SSD samples though, I'm not really sure. Just blended a ton together and all that.

I used the TSS tube screamer sim > POD Farm treadplate amp > out to lecab with a mesa impulse
Then just a bit of EQ and comp.

I don't own SSD but I've collected a lot of samples. Some are probably SSD samples though, I'm not really sure. Just blended a ton together and all that.

Hey bud! stems.

Go!!! :) haha

Bamp

Anybody else going to give the mix a try? It would please my ears to have others work my material.

I'm not sure exactly how frequent people give stems for mixing practice just to steal the work of other engineers.. but I can assure that my intentions are of curiosity only. \m/
I'd also like to learn how other people work their stuff.