my page is up with recording details

Sep 16, 2004
www.whereshewept.com
http://www.myspace.com/dawnofantiquity

God i feel like myspace is so irrelevant right now, but it's easiest way to upload songs and video for now. Feels dated, like making a whole album in this day and age.

So. it's mainly to document my solo album i've been working on for 4 years or so now. 11 songs plus 4 instrumentals or so. I'm not sure what will make the final album, i'm going to complete all of the songs and decide at the end, i have enough material to make 2 albums.

The style is Doom/Death/Dark Ambient, influences are Solitude Aeturnus (hence the name), My Dying Bride, Sentenced, Massive Attack, N3wt and Paradise Lost to name a few. Drums and 90% of the rhythm guitars are done, i have video and eventually audio.

This is a project where i play everything, kind of an ego trip. there is some programming on the more industrial/ambient electronic parts. The drums, bass, guitars and about 40% of the keyboards are all played by me. I've offered vocals on one song to Exocaster since he's helping me with the engineering and recording.

I'm not sure what other info to add at this time, i'm just starting to get info out on this project because Exocaster has informed me that a few of the people he talks to online seem interested in a project like this.

Some things i've learned so far:
D6 sounds like utter shit to me with the front head on a kick. i tried to sell it then gave it one more shot. took the front head off my kick and was blown away, epic awesome ensued.

the Aquarian Superkick II is godlike

saw a video on youtube ( i cant find the link) with a jazz drummer who's quick bass drum tuning changed things for me. he puts the batter head on finger tight, then pushes down the head in the middle with his fist, then tightens up each lug just till the wrinkles dissapear at said lug. i did this, not even in a proper cross pattern, and loved the way the kick sounded. That with a small blanket folded up in the shell with no resonant head and got the best kick drum sound i've ever recorded.

Drum dial is too inconsistent for me, i like deep toms and the loose heads were a pain to tune. the Evans Torque Drum key is way more consistent and quicker.

Air rules on micing drums. if you look at the pics on my page you'll see the mics on the snare and toms are farther away than most home recording "experts".

the Glyn Johns technique is fucking amazing. 2 SDC OH's and 1 mic on the top of the sanre and i got a better sound than bigger OH's, multiple mics and a trigger on the snare. the detail of the kit is amazing too. i can't fix one off time drum hit. i moved one bad kick hit and i could hear it flam with the oh's. Also, the pages i researched online said to space the mics 40" from the snare, but that sounded really dull to me so based on the 3:1 rule i placed the SDC's 36" from the snare and what a difference!

I feel 44.1khz sampling rate is inferior if you want to capture lots of detail. it works fine for compressed mixes, but when i switched to 88.2 i could hear an amazing difference in the clarity of the highs, my mixes were suddenly brighter, but the detail was amazing. with Rode NT5's on the kit i could even hear the subtle ringing of the crashes when choked.

info on the kit is in my blog, i'm not sure what else to put in here so i'll end it for now, i have to edit video of the guitar tracking still. I'll make you guys drool on what i used, for sho, i have 2 friends who agreed to loan me some wicked amps on top of my Mesa+Engl gear. so i''l be doing rhythm guitars for the last song with a truly devastating amp setup. I still have clean guitars, melody guitars, bass, keys and vox to go so i'll try to record as much info as i can too.

-peace

Thanks for the replies, my friend said the same thing, that he wants clips. i have tones of pre-production stuff. nothing with vocals yet though. What kind of clips should i post? i was thinking raw drums, eq'd drums and a rough mix. then update them as i get the other instruments recorded.

I'm excited. My friend from my old band just dropped of his brand new Mark V for me to use for the weekend, and the other guitarist in my main band is loaning me his Herbert too. I'm dooling over the possibilities!:worship: