My Paypal got hacked. This happen to anyone before?

Lowberg

Aug 26, 2004
Rochester, NY
Luckily I think I caught it fast enough. I logged onto paypal this morning to print a packing list for some stuff I sold, to see a cash transfer to bank account of $480 that I didn't make myself.... Seemed odd, so I clicked the details and it was to a 2nd bank account that I didn't add....

Luckily it was done this morning and the funds were still pending, so I was able to file a dispute/unauthorized activity and got it cancelled.

Got all my passwords/email/security questions changed. I think it's all sorted out now but its really frustrating! I'm really good about having strong passwords and only logging onto my personal machines.

This happen to anyone before? Paypals pretty good about fixing shit like this right? How did it turn out?

this never happened to me and it probably wouldn't hurt me very much, because I don't have
a credit card - if I use Paypal, I send them the money just before my purchase and just the
amount I need.

But a friend of mine had something similar, to bad that he was on vacation while it happend.
The guy who hacked his account ripped his credit card to the limit, I think it was like 5k, the
guy was never caught but my friend got his money back after about 4 weeks and being able
to show that there was no way that he could have done this by himself.
I think he had to pay 150€ of the lost 5k by himself, afaik that's the same amount you have
to pay if you loose your purse here and somebody takes your credit card and you don't report
it fast enough.

Yea I don't have any cards attached to my paypal account. Just my checking account is attached but afaik none of the information except the last 4 digits of my routing number is available to view on paypal.

What happened was I had funds held in my paypal that I hadn't transferred yet and he tried to take it out of there. Dicks.

I've had my account hacked years ago. They changed my login information and had transferred funds from several other users. They attempted to then add a new bank account and transfer. Paypal locked my account and I was able to gain back control of my account. Most of the time the banks usually get screwed.

Yeah happened to me not long ago. They started diverting money to various accounts in small increments, but I managed to get the account locked and the money returned before it got out of control.

I actually lost my wallet at a Taco Bell, but I was sure I had lost it at my friend's house or in his car, so I didn't immediately cancel. Turns out someone picked it up, took the fucking $60 cash in it, and used my paypal debit at a gas station about 1.5hrs away from here. This all happened on a weekend, so nothing hit the bank until Monday - over drafted my bank account.

The paypal transaction shows up as a 'bank transfer' - so the bank said they can't do anything until paypal looks into it. I asked if there was some way to freeze my account so I wouldn't get charged anymore...of course not, I just had to let the fees build up.

Paypal was awesome as far as staying in touch and getting a hold of the vendor. The vendor did not respond however and paypal refunded the entire amount ($30?). But, that took about two weeks and meanwhile I had been getting charged by the bank the whole time. It was something like $180 worth of charges.

I contacted the bank and they were not helpful at all and just end up sending me to all kinds of different departments, all of witch had no answer. I wasn't about to pay the almost 200 in fees and shit, so I just let it go. This, along with a defaulted student loan is why I cannot open a bank account anywhere. Luckily I can use prepaid credit cards, which is what I do. Not that I ever have much money anyway.