My Pro-Ghetto Studio v2.0

meanmrmustad

Supreme Member
Aug 27, 2009
Oaxaca, Mexico
Hi I'm alex, an electronic engineering student studying in oaxaca,oaxaca the capital of the poorest state in mexico.

I started my recording studio november 2011 with just an M-Audio Fastrack usb and a cheap mic my dad bought years ago, with the money i made from recording my first demo

The 1st demo i recorded... Survival a thrash band from oaxaca, recorded with just 1 $10 mic.

with just that one mic and the maudio I used the money I made to buy more equipment...so every few months i would have more equipment more mics and a year later this is what I have.

64583177.png

GEAR:

PCS - 2007 1GB ram 3.3ghz Dualcore Desktop PC & Samsung Netbook

SPEAKERS - Samsung HiFi Speakers & Cheap Multimedia Speakers for referece

HEADPHONES - Behringher HPM1000,HPM3000,Stanton pro 300 and a couple of closedback headphones from some airline

OTHER: Behringher mini 8 channel headphone amp

INTERFACE: 16 channel TASCAM US1800 and an M-Audio Delta 66 as spdif out into the Tascam for the last 2 channels.

RACK GEAR: TASCAM US-1800, BEHRINGER MIC2200 PRE and DBX 266XL Compressor/Gate

MICS:
2x Behringher XM8500s with different grill (My SM57s hahaha)
1x Superlux PRA281A kick mics
4x Superlux PRA228A tom mics (2 with flat grill 2 with xm85 grill hahah)
2x Superlux PRA268A pencil condensers
2x Behringer C2 pencil condensers
1x Behringer C1 Large Diaphragm Condenser

And this is one of the latest bands I've recorded/mixed.

...So thank you all I've learnt a lot from these forums
and I guess I'm a bedroom warrior charging $15 bucks and hour because thats roughly what I charge an hour $150 MXN or $11.50 USD or $7 per hour if the band rents the whole day hahahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

And this was the first album I recorded

recorded when this place still looked like shit hahaha
314935_273767969333045_1871430907_n.jpg

I had 4 microphones by then and a tascam us-122 mkII

wtf duuude, YOU recorded kill 'em all!? oh, wait...:D

but seriously, that's pretty cool, making money with recordings
and buying more equipment with this money was always a dream of mine,
unfortunately bands over here are all 100% lame ass cheapskates :D

Here as well, $11 USD an hour and $25 per mix is too much for bands here apparently.
I recorded that album for $150 USD.

And i guess i got lucky because all the other studios are big, have equipment and stuff but the things they put out sound like portastudio demos

Suena super bien, especialmente dado la dificultad (me imagino) de conseguir equipo en Oaxaca. Hace dos años yo pasé un mes en la ciudad de Oaxaca, y regresó más luego para un finde en Puerto Escondido. Visité casi la mitad de los estados en México y Oaxaca fue mi favorito.

Sorry for the grammatical mistakes haha, Spanish is obviously not my first language.

Yeah, people shit on Behringer sometimes but my first amp was a behringer and it was fantastic.

i don't want to get the whole thread OT, but behringer doesn't catch shit because they make cheap gear, they catch shit because they steal other people's designs and peddle cheap-ass knockoff versions

but anyways...good job with your studio and work, it's always cool to see someone who has legit started out with almost nothing, and worked for everything they have

i don't want to get the whole thread OT, but behringer doesn't catch shit because they make cheap gear, they catch shit because they steal other people's designs and peddle cheap-ass knockoff versions

but anyways...good job with your studio and work, it's always cool to see someone who has legit started out with almost nothing, and worked for everything they have

They don't steal anything. They're just unethical. But everything they do is within the law.

I don't see the problem, they make cheap copies of equipment so we can have something similar we can afford, those who can afford will buy the better one

But who cares? there are companies in every other business doing the exact same thing.

If it's not behringher and it's in the same price range its bound to be worse.

But what u think of my bedroom studio and my mixes dawg? hahahaha

Awesome dude! Glad to see people are actually getting work. I opened a studio a few weeks ago with more gear than you started out with but I can't seem to get anyone in the door who doesn't want to record with their friend for free.

I don't see the problem, they make cheap copies of equipment so we can have something similar we can afford, those who can afford will buy the better one

But who cares? there are companies in every other business doing the exact same thing.

This.
For example, we can see the Truth B2031A in a lot pro studios including Hansen Studio and Antfarm. Tue Madsen does everything on them. Nice work dude BTW!

Woohoo! One of the bands I recorded finally released their EP!

Bass is in E Standard
Guitars are 8 string E Standard an octave below! just like a bass!

I think this is one of the best songs on the EP