My quest for originality!

zezima940

New Metal Member
Dec 21, 2010
As we all know there are many many sub genres of metal. I've come to a conclusion, that if you try to be labeled in an already existing sub genre, you're gonna sound generic!! If you dive in within an sub genre there is close to none original bands except the ones who started it. I will never be satisfied trying to follow a sub genre, but still when I try mixing things I face the same problems.

I try to make something between Pantera and Children of Bodom, but I en up sounding like a clone of one of those bands! Those bands are the greatest bands in the world IMO so they are my biggest influence. I tried to mix thrash metal with keyboards, but it didn't go very well!

Please help me towards originality! It's driving me crazy!I just don't know what to do? I am ending up sounding generic within a specific sub genre :(

I'm not very good at composing so cannot say much about that, i'll leave that for those that can. Spending instead much more time on mixing the stuff of our band. I don't listen to others music these days, instead i listen to whatever i'm currently working on like 20-100 times a day. But i'm pretty sure, if you want to be original, start listening more to your own stuff than others, enjoy it, get kicks out of it.

I find that initial attempts at trying to be original will very much reflect your influences. I believe originality takes time to develop and its not just gonna happen instantly. Keep writing and also expand your musical horizons as well. Listen to all kinds of stuff, perhaps music that is much different than what your main influences are. After all if you keep listening to just the same kinds of metal you are going to be influenced by stuff thats already out there, good luck. And remember inspiration can come from anywhere...

In my opinion you should never worry about trying to do something new. That pigeonholes you more then anything else. Just try to write what you would want to listen to. Be a fan of your own music and let creativity flow.

In my opinion you should never worry about trying to do something new. That pigeonholes you more then anything else. Just try to write what you would want to listen to. Be a fan of your own music and let creativity flow.

Aye, sage advice, ExhumedKarcass!

In addition, one must nary confuse'th originality with quality. For this knight hath hearde many bands whose goal was to create'eth odes and a sounde before unheard...and a most odious and foul clamor was ye result!

This post now concludeth!

Why don't you just concentrate on playing music that you enjoy? You're more likely to create something original when you're just having fun than when you're concentrating explicitly on originality.

When you focus too hard on such a narrow goal everything is going to seem inadequate because you're over-analyzing every little thing, making each segment seem less and less novel each time you review it. Additionally, you're comparing your work in progress to everyone else's finished masterpiece.

At least if you're just having fun you can spontaneously stumble upon something totally new and run with it. Even if you don't find something new, at least you're having fun, right? :)

Why don't you just concentrate on playing music that you enjoy? You're more likely to create something original when you're just having fun than when you're concentrating explicitly on originality.

When you focus too hard on such a narrow goal everything is going to seem inadequate because you're over-analyzing every little thing, making each segment seem less and less novel each time you review it. Additionally, you're comparing your work in progress to everyone else's finished masterpiece.

At least if you're just having fun you can spontaneously stumble upon something totally new and run with it. Even if you don't find something new, at least you're having fun, right? :)

That's what I said haha

Thanks for all these answers! And you guys are right, fun is what matters! But imagine if every band did so and metal would stay on the Iron Maiden / Judas Priest era forever :/ that would suck tho o_O

No, you didn't quite understand what we said. We didn't say play everything just like anyone, just don't worry about NOT playing like others. Just play stuff you like and (to quote myself earlier) let creativity flow. That's really all you need. Who knows what will come of it. You may create something entirely new, you just can't force it without it sounding that way.

Agreed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp8YCBW4Q6Y&feature=related[/ame]
^This man is the wisest guitarist I've ever seen.