my thoughts on jon schaffer

Eternal_Frost

Mar 24, 2004
Nanaimo , BC Canada
Is anyone else out there as sick of Jon Schaffer as I am? For a while now I've suffered through his self-absorbed egomaniacal lamentations about his financial hardships of the music business as if he is the only one who has struggled to make a dollar. Whether he is willing to admit it or not , there is no doubt that Schaffer has achieved a level of success with both Iced Earth and Demons & Wizards that many hardworking musicians only dream about. The self-annointed " King of True Metal" was even willing to tour with the likes of Korn and Limp Bizkit in order to put profits in front of his original fan base. It has always been about "ME" and "I" with little credit given to the many fine musicians that have accompanied him over the years. And now we have to bear this unnecessary criticism of Matt Barlow. Schaffer's ego couldn't let Matt leave simply based on a career decision made by Matt. His lack of respect for the guy who help Iced Earth out of obscurity , one of the genre's finest vocalists and one of metal's nicest guys , is disgusting and uncalled for. Fans know who stood out in the cold rain to greet them while those more metal than thou graced them with a wave from inside the bus. Mr.True Metal has finally come full circle. He now has a Rob Halford impersonator to go along with his rehashed Iron Maiden gallops. Iced Earth may have been Schaffers vision but it was Matt that gave his vision a voice. Without him , Iced Earth would be as uninspiring as Judas Priest's Jugulator and Demolition albums.

Comments and posts welcome...remember these are just my thoughts and opinions
Dan

My thoughts on you and the other idiots like you...

Will you please SHUT THE FUCK UP!?

So you dont like Jon attitude, so what? Some people do , some people dont. Jon is straightforward and you cant seem to handle that at times. Yeah Jon did have it hard, but I think its good to let people know where he comes from. Look at the vast majority of bands now. Look at the "popular" bands on the radio. Singing about how hard they have it and they had a broken home(Papa Roach) and all is soooo bad. Gee, how is it they grew up in white suburbia with money and seem to whine so much? Give it a rest.
Jon wanted to tour with Linkin Park and Korn? I doubt that really. BUT.... He may have been willing to go along with it for the notoriety. YOU try putting out albums and still, over a decade later you are playing in bars that hold 100 people. (Smiler Coogans in Chicago on the Wicked Tour) You HAVE to do something to get your name out. thats why Jon was trying to jump on the JP tour then with Megadeth.

Barlow.... I love Matt. I think he is a fantastic singer, and he best one Iced Earth has ever had(including Owens) He helped make Iced Earth what it is today, and I think he left the high seat open for Tim to walk into. But what criticism are you talking of? I dont see anything new about it. why dig up old shit AGAIN?

Iced Earth is Jons band, plain and simple. HE runs things. So you are upset that everyone doesnt get an equal share? Well why should someone who does no writing get as much for doing nothing? Thats not the way it works.

You opinions are much like most people who dont like Jon. No substance. Rehashed Iron Maiden gallops? Name a fucking metal band that hasnt at one point put picking like that in! You'll have to name Metallica in there, In Flames, Savatage, King Diamond, Blind Guardian, Jag Panzer, goes on and on....

I WILL however agree with the Owens remark. I'm sure Tim is a cool guy. I dont like those kinds of vocals and I dont think they fit Iced Earth. And really he has no style he can go with except the Halford clone thing. That kinda sucks. If he tries to change his style any, people will bitch and complain.

Please feel free to retort.

Iced In Flames said:
YOU try putting out albums and still, over a decade later you are playing in bars that hold 100 people. (Smiler Coogans in Chicago on the Wicked Tour) You HAVE to do something to get your name out. thats why Jon was trying to jump on the JP tour then with Megadeth.

You and Jon both need to realize that metal is a genre on it's last legs. It doesn't matter if their name is "out" or not, they're a metal band that would NEVER sell enough to make a good amount of money in the States or even gain some notoriety. Unless they completely sell out, which is just as unlikely, the band will not be as sucessful as Jon wants it. Quality metal is underground, that's how it is and will be from now on. I know, it sucks. B

And I'm not saying Iced Earth is quality, they just act like it. :D

Also, I'm really sick of Jon acting like Ted Nugent. That won't get them anywhere. I'd love to see this band back in it's glory days... But I still won't listen to them.

in answer to *iced in flames* , ya i dont like it that everyone in the band dosent get and equal share , because there's a lot better musicians in Iced Earth other than Jon(ie. Steve DiGiorgio) and without them Iced Earth wouldn't be as popular as they are now. and as I said before, its always been about "me" and "I" with Jon and I dont like it at all. and zivilyn i agree with you 100% , most of the best( read:quality) metal is found in the underground.

iced in flames>> i wouldnt care for all that if iced earth didnt use to make great music and now seem to drown in jon's ego problems.

But what criticism are you talking of? I dont see anything new about it. why dig up old shit AGAIN?
>> i didnt only critise barlow. he critises anyone who leaves the band...that is weak!

True metal doesnt sell well at all. But selling 50,000 is still a step up from 20,000 ya know?

I jsut wish Jon would let other people offer ideas. I think the writing on Glorious Burden is very generic and soulless. A good band needs ideas from all its members.

Narrot. I'm sure Jon feels that everyone should be into the band as much as he is. But he's going in a circle because he wont let them be.

Hey Frost. Fuck you for that comment as well.

Comments and posts welcome...remember these are just my thoughts and opinions"

Right,...
"

Iced Earth has been going downhill since Burnt Offerings. They have had about one album worth of good songs since then. Jon has three options to retain any credibility as a songwriter:
1. Write some new riffs
2. Let someone else write them for him
3. Quit writing music

That is all.

Eternal_Frost said:
there's a lot better musicians in Iced Earth other than Jon(ie. Steve DiGiorgio) and without them Iced Earth wouldn't be as popular as they are now.
Steve DiGiorgio was in the band for all of a month and a half.. You can hardly attribute any of the bands success to him.

Larry was a poor, uninspiring, 100% replaceable lead guitarist.

Richard Christy left voluntarily and on good terms.

Barlow is different. He did help get the band where they are today, but he's gone. Get over it.

Barlow is different. He did help get the band where they are today, but he's gone. Get over it.

dont worry im over it , i dont listen to iced earth much anymore

Steve DiGiorgio was in the band for all of a month and a half.. You can hardly attribute any of the bands success to him.

oops....i actually didnt know how long he was in the band , my mistake

Iridium said:
Iced Earth has been going downhill since Burnt Offerings. They have had about one album worth of good songs since then. Jon has three options to retain any credibility as a songwriter:
1. Write some new riffs
2. Let someone else write them for him
3. Quit writing music

That is all.
Dark SAga had some bright spots, and I like Something Wicked alot. Cept for a few of the drab filler songs. The trilogy, Savior and Burning Times I like very much.

The only song on Dark Saga I enjoy is A Question of Heaven. The rest are confused, uninspired, and boring.

SWTWC is a horribly formulaic album, though it does have a few good tracks: Burning Times and The Coming Curse are excellent. Prophecy, 1776, and My Own Savior are not bad either. The rest are terrible.

Horror Show has only one truly excellent song (almost worth buying the album for alone!) - Dracula. Damien, Im-Ho-Tep, and Dragon's Child aren't bad either, but the rest are AIDS-tastic.

There isn't a single song on the Glorious Burden that I can thoroughly enjoy - Jon Schaffer's ego disgusts me.

I still can't understand everyone's obsession with Dracula. I've always found it to be one of the weaker tracks from Horror Show.

You people honestly do not know shit...
Get your own fucking lives & stop bashing individuals you do not personally.
Jon is a great person, and half the stories you read are complete bullshit.
Fuck, with a paragraph like that moron wrote you think he talks to Jon on a daily basis.

Get your own lives, and your own drama...

Eternal_Frost said:
ok so we dont know jon personally , that dosent mean that we cant make opinions on him based on what we've heard.

oh , so you know him on a personal level eh? fucking retard.

I really don't need to explain things to you.

Zac said:
You people honestly do not know shit...

I think by this you mean that I do not know anything. That is a blatant lie.

Zac said:
Get your own fucking lives & stop bashing individuals you do not personally.

I've got my own fucking life. Bashing individuals I do not know personally is what I do in my spare time.

Zac said:
Jon is a great person,

How would you know this?

Zac said:
and half the stories you read are complete bullshit.

I don't base my judgement of him on stories; I base it on his own posts on the Iced Earth band board and the albums Iced Earth puts out.

Zac said:
Get your own lives, and your own drama...

That retort got old around the time I finished middle school. I doubt any of this qualifies as drama - I am simply commenting on Jon Schaffer's contributions to Iced Earth as of late, and how his ego has played into that.

Zac said:
I really don't need to explain things to you.

Indeed, because he knows what he is talking about and you do not.

In conclusion, kindly remove your tongue from Jon Schaffer's anus and stop being an idiot.

Thanks,
Iridium