My Thoughts On The Cancellations/Problems That Have Arisen on The SX/BG Tour.....

SYMPXACCOLADE

New Metal Member
Oct 7, 2002
CT
Visit site
:wave: I just wanted to share some of my thoughts and opinions regarding the few problems that have arisen during the tour Symphony X is doing with Blind Guardian. Firstly, I would just like to say that I do understand everyone's disappointments, especially after seeing a concert tour like this become a reality. I was very fortunate to see them in Worcester, MA, and I myself have waited a long time to finally see Symphony X live, and I was certainly not disappointed! They rocked! But, I've noticed that there have been posts on this board where people are getting angry at Symphony X for having to cancel the Florida gig, and I just found out that the Houston show was completely cancelled. As others have mentioned on this board, touring is a very tough business, in and of itself. On top of touring being a tricky business, your dealing with bands who get little, if no radio airplay. That's another big problem. Many venues base who they hire for shows on that particular groups radio play, or record sales within that given area or the surrounding areas. Fortunately, there are promoters and venues who don't care about record sales as much, and love putting new bands, or long time underground sensations on the bill, to help get them exposure they so truly deserve, and we thank them for that. As successful as Dream Theater has been, their Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence tour, in particuliar, the first American leg back in Feb/March of 2002, had a very limited set of shows, compared to the Metropolis Pt:2 tour. Mike Portnoy mentioned record sales and radio play being a major problem for them as well, even with their level of success, despite the fact that they are on a major label! I can't speak for how Europe does things, because judging on many of the bills that happen over there, it's pretty obvious that they don't rely on radio play or what MTV is telling them is hot (which is a big problem in the US market, as you know) to put together a tour such as Symphony X and Statovarius..which I highly doubt will ever happen in the States, but who knows? My point is simply this: I myself am a 26/yr old guitar player in the Shred/progressive/metal genre, and even locally in my own state (connecticut) it's hard enough to get gigs..as soon as they find out what type of music I play or my band plays, they don't want to hire you, figuring they won't get enough people in the door, which is sad, but it is a fact of life. With a professional recording act like Symphony X, its even harder because the label has to put up the money to promote the tour and get it happening (even tougher for small indie labels like Inside Out or Century Media), and even worse, as Symphony X has done in the past, financing a string of shows themselves. Think about that: They were determined enough to pay for their own shows, so that fans will get the chance to see them for the first time...and you know the band was losing money on those shows, and im sure they are losing money on these shows as well...but I don't think that's the reason for the problems on this tour, it more than likely has to do with personal family issues, or time contraints, or equipment issues (of which ive seen mention of that). Believe me, the band wants to be succesful and they want to play for their dedicated fans, for whom without us, they wouldnt exist. I'm sure they are disppointed about some of the issues that have arisen on this tour, but honestly, its a miracle that this tour has been happening at all, and thats the bottom line. Preserverance will pay off, and I do believe that Symphony X will get a full-on headlining American tour lined up. As far as this tour goes, keep in mind, its Blind Guardian's tour, Symphony X is their support, but ultimately, Blind Guardian and their promoters have the say on what's going on..although im sure both bands are getting along very well, and that the shows that have been happening are going very well, as evidenced by what I saw, and from what ive seen posted on this board about the shows. Just one more thing to mention: while I'm not a Blind Guardian fan myself, I think we all need to respect them for what they do, and realize that if they weren't touring right now, we wouldnt be seeing Symphony X...so please, stop the bashing of Blind Guardian..we know that if your on a Symphony X forum, your a fan and supporter of Symphony X and not Blind Guardian as much. They do what they do, Symphony X does what they do...and both are a hell of a lot better than N'Sync! lol. So, peace my fellow X's, and keep enjoying the music. -- Jeff

its even harder because the label has to put up the money to promote the tour and get it happening
Was there actually and promotion for this tour though? I certainly didn't see any; the only reason I even knew about it was because I happened to check their website, something I don't do very often. I wonder how many fans completely missed these shows because they didn't even know they were happening. Granted, it's got to be tough to promote when you can't count on any help from radio stations, but still...

While I can certainly understand that sometimes "shit happens" I would like to know the reason for the cancellation; and I can certainly understand why some people are very disappointed (I know I am). I'm not saying we should get pissed at the bands as long as there are good reasons for the cancellations, but at the same time I'm not going to act like I'm happy about it.