SymX shows in the Online Metal Awards!

Jax

Forum Goddess
Feb 11, 2002
San Jose, CA
~ Album of the Year - Opeth - Deliverance won, Symphony X - The Odyssey appeared as one of the four runners up
~ Artist of the Year - Opeth won, Symphony X appeared as an honorable mention
~ Best Tour - In Flames won, Blind Guardian/Symphony X appeared as one of the four runners up

Kudos also to Inside Out Music America (SymX's label in the US) for appearing as a runner up in the Best Label category! (Nuclear Blast placed first)

Online Metal Awards 2002

This is good, but SyX should have cleaned house. I don't know what this rage over Opeth is all about. They are good but not as good as Symphony X. I know that is just my opinion, but I know it is right!! Just kidding.

Pretty damn good for a band that doesn't get a lot of recognition (considering that Opeth has a huge underground following, but I think that this Opeth hype is way over the top (i'm not saying they aren't good) but damn. All their albums receive such high scores even when their music formula is way repetitive if you ask me (no offense to Opeth fans)

bottom line: I agree with Sweepking :lol:

Oh I forgott to say, Congratulations Syx :headbang:

These are practically popularity contests (the same as MTV awards or grammys) so there's no need to take it seriously guys :headbang:

When I look at all the categories I think the same bands pop up most of the time, like Opeth and In Flames. This leads me to believe that either only a handful of people voted, or fans of those particular bands were encouraged (through fansites or whatever) to vote massively and repeatedly. That's also the only possible explanation why this band 'Otep' shows up all over the place, while I can't imagine many people have heard of them. At any rate, these results certainly look quite distorted to me.

what's up with Otep being in the Honorable Mentions/Runners Up of almost every catagory? Even winning Best Newcomer! I thought this was UltimateMetal... not UltimateCrap... and amazingly they don't even have a forum here!

Oh my god... Hot Topic won Best Offline Metal Store... what is wrong with Ultimate Metal!? There's not even any metal at that store!

Congratulations to Symphony X... "The Odyssey" only came in one place behind Otep's "Sevas Tra".

:lol: I laughed when i saw Hot Topic as the best store. Theres a few of those stores around me, and they carry nothing but pop-punk and nu-metal. While HMV (the highlight of my trip to England :D ) has entire sections of the store devoted to metal, they recieve runner up :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
Oh my god... Hot Topic won Best Offline Metal Store... what is wrong with Ultimate Metal!? There's not even any metal at that store!

Well, surprisingly, not only UM users voted at the awards. And also, if there's no metal why did so many metal fans vote for them? *shrug* Ya cannae please everyone :)

Eh hot topic has some nice shirts (not the band shirts but the nice button-up t shirts) but thats about it. They were playing Pantera one time I went into one, and they had an Immortal shirt on the wall....thats about as metal as they get tho lol

Next year we hope to have an even wider spread of people voting. This year, I think Otep had such a good showing simply because few other bands site's (or forums) pushed people towards it.