My thoughts on the new Turisas material

Mr. Lapin Kulta

Evil invader
Jul 20, 2004
Northernmost Sweden
www.moonsorrow.com
I've been listening to three rough previews from the new album for the last couple of weeks (thanx Mathias!) and I thought I'd share my sentiments concerning them with anyone interested. A sneak preview for all so to speak. I hope you don't mind Mathias. If so, just take this down.

1st Song

An almost OTT bombastic number in the vein of "Battle Metal" or "As Torches Rise". A massive opener (or at least the title indicates so) to any album of pomp and grandeur. This has quickly grown into my fave Turisas track thus far. The chorus is simply breath taking and I'm sure it will be a staple in the band's live set in the future!

Cheese Please

Another bombastic track with mezmerizing melodies and a "dancy" feel to it. I don't know how the guys manage to come up with all these infectious melodies but I'm not complaining one bit. A very varied song that balances between typical Turisas bombast and more progressive structures.

Origin

This one is a bit different. A merge of brutality and serenity. The more serene parts remind me of traditional gypsy music, although I can't say for sure that has any relevance to the actual thought behind it :) The brutal parts on the other hand are definitely amongst the most aggressive ever for Turisas. Another killer tune that sticks like superglue from first listen although it lacks a typical hookline and catchy chorus. This will probably mean nothing to anyone here but the song very much reminds me of a Swedish punk band called Big Fish - one of my childhood favourites.

All in all these three previews exceed all expectations I had for the coming album and I can't wait to hear them completed. If these three songs are anything to go by the second Turisas album will make sure the band solidifies their position in the scene and it will also catapult them into metal stardom for many years to come!