My Top 10 CDs of 2012

Glad you like reading them. Hopefully I'll be able to get the Nightwish CD soon, just haven't been able to pick it up yet.

Well, it's New Year's Eve, so without any further ado, here are the albums that rocked my world in 2012, in no order other than alphabetical...

Note: Before everyone gets technical on me, I consider Imaginaerum a 2011 album, so this is why it is not on the list for me this year, even though it was not released in the U.S. 'till January. I could put it on the list, but...well, I saw Nightwish 4 times this year, so I think it goes without saying that it got a lot of listens this year no matter what.

And normally I don't vote a favorite album either; but well, all bets are off whenever Rush puts an album out, and Clockwork Angels is amazing.

Concert-wise, I only saw one other band besides Nightwish this year, but I'll still make a list.

Onward!

Favorite albums:

Angelical Tears—The Eleventh Hour
Delain—We Are the Others
Diablo Swing Orchestra—Pandora's Piñata
Kamelot—Silverthorn
Lacuna Coil—Dark Adrenaline
Nightwish—Imaginaerum: The Score
Rush—Clockwork Angels
Soundgarden—King Animal
Stratovarius—Under Flaming Winter Skies
Tarja—Act 1
The Prog Collective—The Prog Collective
Von Smith—"Hopeless" (CD-single)

Favorite concerts:

Nightwish: January 19th, 2012 (the "Rubber Band of Wolves" secret gig); Key Club; Hollywood, CA
Nightwish: January 21st, 2012 (the opening show of the Imaginaerum tour); Gibson Amphitheater; Los Angeles, CA
Nightwish: October 5th, 2012 (best birthday ever!); The Grove; Anaheim, CA
Nightwish: October 6th, 2012 (on the eve of our Oceansouls); House of Blues; San Diego, CA
Rush: November 19th, 2012 (my 3rd Rush show); Gibson Amphitheater; Los Angeles, CA

Surprises of the year:

Anette's departure from Nightwish: Whether you liked her or not, most people did not see this one coming, most especially not in the middle of a tour!
Geoff Tate's departure from Queensryche: Same here; this was another shocker, except most fans (like myself) were more shocked that it took so long to happen! :lol:
Rush FINALLY getting into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: After 15 years of being ignored, they finally got nominated for the first time; and even better, they get inducted on their first nomination! This is a celebration for not only all Rush fans, but for all fans of music with integrity; showing that you can be a band that plays by your own rules and can still sell a lot of records, be successful, and be respected by the mainstream. Go Rush!

Things to look forward to in 2013:

Rush and Heart getting inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!
Tuomas' Scrooge McDuck album!
New albums from bands with new line-up changes, such as Stratovarius with their new drummer Rolf, and Queensryche with new-and-improved singer Todd LaTorre.
And as always, more concerts!

See you in 2013! :wave:

Sadly, there's nothing on your list that I would be interested in listening to.

Anette leaving was definitely a surprise. Geoff Tate being out of Queensryche was a surprise, but the revelations from both sides were an even bigger surprise. He's apparently a huge ass, and the other members of the band are a bunch of pussified wimps.

Rush getting into the Hall of Fame isn't a surprise so much as a long overdue event.

I don't really have a top 10, since I'm poor. :lol: And I'm lazy, so copy and paste it is.

*From the Nazi-err-Official forum:

Alright, I'm lazy and poor, so I've missed out on getting a few albums still (sad, I know) so I'm just going to do one for each:

Album of the Year:
silverthorn.jpg

A lot of people say this isn't a great album, but is rather just a "standard" Kamelot album. But there isn't really a "standard" Kamelot sound, they change from album to album - though, people are right, Silverthorn is a perfect example of baseline Kamelot. And to me, that was the whole point. They didn't want to pull a Nightwish by going in a completely different direction and allowing Tommy to take the blame for changing them. Instead they took a step back from Poetry toward their traditional sound and took bits and pieces from their older albums and put them all together on Silverthron, allowing Tommy to prove he can handle all their styles as well as Roy. It was the perfect move by them, I think. Nearly every song on Silverthorn harkens back to one of their previous albums and previous sounds, and that is what makes it shine. The music is lovely (definitely buy the special edition to get the instrumental CD) and the vocal melodies are superb. It's exactly what I wanted them to do after having Roy leave. They held their position and created the quintessential Kamelot album, thereby proving to the fans that the only thing they lost was Roy himself, and that Kamelot is still going strong. Perfect.

The Good:
nightwish-imaginaerum.jpg

...I got mine in January, so I'm counting it for 2012. :giggle: I'm still sad that Anette is gone, but if she had to go this was the album to leave as her NW legacy. Lovely low notes from her and a vast array of vocal styles and moods. Lovely. ...But due to the customarily lame guitar work, it is no match for Silverthorn. A solid 2nd place for NW.

The Meh:
eluvitie-helvetios-210.jpg

It's not bad by any means, but it's not Slania. That's about it actually, just, meh. A Rose for Epona is lovely though.

The Ugly:
Xandria-Neverworlds-End1.jpg

...Okay, ugly is a strong word, it's technically not a bad album. Xandria has a special place in my heart, and this album is the reason I said what I did about Silverthorn - This is not the Xandria I love. They traded in their unique Indian vibe for the same sound used by so many Symphonic Metal bands. Call of the Wind, Euphoria, and Nomad's Crown are the only tracks I bother with. This isn't a bad album in terms of quality, but it was a colossal disappointment for me.

The Unexpected:
EPICA-REQUIEM%20INDIFFERENT-02.jpg

I'm not a huge Epica fan, due to Cookie Monster constantly coming in and interrupting poor Simone as she's trying to sing. (I actually saw a review on iTunes that also referred to him as "Cookie Monster" which really brightened my day. :giggle:) And also due to Simone's voice being quite sharp for my taste. But I really like Requiem. It's a step up from their previous works, and, while not nearly my favorite album of the year, it's a solid piece and I'm happy with it. (Even though the cover art looks like it was ripped right out of the booklet from Kamelot's Poetry for the Poisoned...)

Too Lazy/Poor to Have Yet:
lacuna-coil-dark-adrenaline.jpg

Lacuna Coil tend to fluctuate a lot, I usually love them or hate them, but I'm looking forward to finally getting this album anyway. It can't be worse than Shallow Life...

Most Anticipated 2013 Album:
Seventh Wonder - Their last album is still one of the most listened to on my iPod, and I can't wait to hear what they do next. :music:

In no order:

Kamelot: Silverthorn
Woods of Ypres: Woods 5
Katatonia: Dead End Kings
Poets of the Fall: Temple of Thought
Meshuggah: Koloss
Paradise Lost: Tragic Idol
Mnemic: Mnemesis
ORCumentary: Praise Gor-Nacular! EP

I have a feeling I missed a couple.

Disappointments of the year:

Elvenking - Era
Firewind - Few Against Many

No, Geoff is just an ass. The other guys are cool as hell; I can't wait to hear the new stuff with Todd. Anyone who can nail "Roads to Madness" the way he did is OK in my book.

You would not even be interested in listening to the Imaginaerum score soundtrack?!

No, that kind of thing doesn't interest me. Sorry.

^Too bad; it's a pretty good album. I mean, it's basically the Imaginaerum music but more "movie soundtrack", if that's possible. :lol:

Avery: A friend of mine is sending me some Seventh Wonder stuff; can't wait to hear it.

I thought Shallow Life was better than Karmacode, but Dark Adrenaline took some time to grow on me. I'd still recommend it, but I'll be honest in saying it can't hold a candle to masterpieces like In a Reverie or even Comalies.

^ They kick ass! :D ...And this is about the sexiest album cover I've ever seen. :oops: Such a cute lil spider. I call her Penelope. :lol: Not sure why, she just looks like a Penelope to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that's OK; the writing on the picture helps cover some of it up.

The song was pretty good; kinda sounds like...well, Kamelot. I mean that in a good way. :D

And Tage, I forgot to mention this before from reading your review...but stick to your guns and DO NOT listen to the new VH album. It is pure and utter crap. Nothing less than I expected when Diamond Dave is back at the helm, but it was far worse than even my expectations. G*ddamn, that sh*t was horrible. One band I wish would have released an instrumental version of their album; then it might have been far more pleasing to my ears. EVH is always EVH and that never changes, but damn, Dave sounds like crap. Well, he always sounded like crap to me, so that goes without saying.

Well, I named my dog after Sammy Hagar for God's sake, so I guess I don't need to tell you which era of VH I prefer. ;) I'd rather listen to Chickenfoot over any new VH album *any day*. :D

We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree about Tate's album; I thought his first solo record was way better and this one just had me shaking my head in disappointment. One who was once my vocal god, how far from grace he has fallen for me.

Anyway, you should pick up the new Rush if you get a chance. You will not be disappointed. Even fans who have written them off are singing its praises.

There is also a band that opened for Kamelot in Pittsburgh called Icarus Witch, they released an album called Rise recently, not sure if it was 2012 or not, but they were very good. It's not every day I get excited by a support band. :D Just figured I'd give them a mention in case anyone here hasn't heard of them yet.

@C: Try this one, same album, but no spider. :lol:

...Though with that scruff Tommy looks like a god damned wookiee. :lol: ...Or a hobo. Wow, that Tin Can Tommy sure can sing! ...Sorry, I have facial hair issues. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: