My website is up !

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello

I have spent the last two days designing my website. For those who read my thread where I was asking to myself if I would use a pre-made site in flash or not, well I decided I would do it myself anyway.

So I spent like 40 hours of designing, lots of errors and re-learning a few html tips. Some things actually annoying when you discover after 4 hours the little thing that destroyed everything. I think I could do such a site in really less time now ! I know nothing really deep in html/java/php/flash so I couldn't do a complicated website though. But it's cool for showcase or simple business.

Last annoying thing is because of Internet Explorer... My website is made around the graphics because I wanted it simple but nice/fun/surprising. The odd thing is that the big background works well in all the browsers I have tested it in, excepted IE. Mozilla, Opera, Chrome work perfectly, but IE fucks it by 5 or 10 pixels which is odd because it is obvious around the logo.

Also can you tell me, mac users, if in Safari it does too ? cause in Safari on iPhone it's pretty fucked because the background image doesn't work at all as it is supposed to be. It's like the iphone safari doesn't want it to get out of the screen and so it scales it...

I think I will re-do the logo so that it's only a transparent PNG image, to ged rid off this problem. Seems like there are a few things like that because some codes are not read the same from browser to browser and so you have to find a trick that works with both ways. If safari actually fucks it up I think I'll have to rethink a lot of the structure of the actual design.

Well here it is, still on DropBox and not 100% finished (some links/accounts/elements to add).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/881054/Inheritance Studio/www/index.html

Tell me if :
- it's buggy on one of your browsers and which one
- I made mistakes or strange non-english expressions
- there is any odd thing you think shouldn't be that way on a website or not
- you like the design or not

EDIT :

www.inheritance-studio.com !

Also, you don't need the 's' on the end of 'Pro Infos' should just be info.

All links work on my end and it looks nice. You may want to change the links for the twitter/facebook icons though, they direct to the main site, not your specific pages on those sites.

Also, you don't need the 's' on the end of 'Pro Infos' should just be info.

All links work on my end and it looks nice. You may want to change the links for the twitter/facebook icons though, they direct to the main site, not your specific pages on those sites.

Hum okay I have to redo the pictures then.

It's normal for the links, the accounts don't already exist :)

You did a nice job but really should have created a blog. Static websites are fail for self promotion now, you need to gain a following and interact with your audience and "clients" more directly.
Not too mention too much open space on top and bottom. Remove that speaker from the top middle and pull everything else up. Also now that I'm really looking at it I don't really care for the way that the two columns are spaced as well with the identical text and colors that are used on both sides.

You definitely did better than what most regular people could do in 40 hours by far.

But really, if you want to help your business gain a following make a studio site blog without flash. The good thing is that you know how to customize a site probably better than when you started so making modifications to a blog type format won't be very difficult for you.

You did a nice job but really should have created a blog. Static websites are fail for self promotion now, you need to gain a following and interact with your audience and "clients" more directly.
Not too mention too much open space on top and bottom. Remove that speaker from the top middle and pull everything else up. Also now that I'm really looking at it I don't really care for the way that the two columns are spaced as well with the identical text and colors that are used on both sides.

You definitely did better than what most regular people could do in 40 hours by far.

But really, if you want to help your business gain a following make a studio site blog without flash. The good thing is that you know how to customize a site probably better than when you started so making modifications to a blog type format won't be very difficult for you.

Can you post some links for what you've mentioned here? I'm not hip on the 'new' web, I still prefer old school style websites. But I am curious.

I'm not sure about the blog, I find them disorganized and badly designed in general, I never follow blogs cause they're always so messy on their info. What I think is best is what Ermz decided on that other thread, forget about myspace altogether and have a standard website and keep it closely linked to FB/twitter. I mean not only putting the links, but actually having a window with the latest updates and stuff, so people can like, comment etc. Straight from the website.

I like your design mat, it's simple but very pleasing to the eyes. But It does come out buggy on my Iphone, that part at the top as you said. Btw Safari is not only for Mac users, I have it on my windows laptop (I never use it though, way too slow IMO), but I can't check cause I just moved to a new place and don't have Internet yet so it's all mobile for me right now

You've written recommand instead of recommend and there's a white background to the left and right of the bg image on my 23" monitor. Looks nice otherwise. I haven't checked for grammar or stylistics.

Looks nice over here, and also works as it should I guess!
Dunno about the blog vs website stuff, I think it's something to represent your skills and services, dunno how a blog that may doesnt even look that good should help...
nice job on the design and the html too! I lost all my html abilities after shool :lol:

Looks nice over here, and also works as it should I guess!
Dunno about the blog vs website stuff, I think it's something to represent your skills and services, dunno how a blog that may doesnt even look that good should help...
nice job on the design and the html too! I lost all my html abilities after shool :lol:
Thank you, to be honest most of the html code is generated and I mostly edit it after. It would be a pain in the ass to do it from scratch :) The drawback of such graphical made site is that it's plain static, you can convert it to something dynamic but it needs a lot of tweaking. So since I have only 2 pages and may not have many more, if I edit the menu I have to do it to both pages manually. I could work on making it a template and just loading the actual content...

I could do such a site to anybody interested for a fair price I guess.

@DanLights : Yes I'm gonna go the same route as everybody currently : casual update on Fb, I'm gonna give a shot to twitter since it seems a lot of americans use it (almost nobody does in france).
Also, thanks I didn't know safari was ported to PC. I'm gonna dl it too so that I will have all main browsers : IE/Firefox/Opera/Chrome/Safari.
I think I'm gonna adapt a bit the logo and stuff so that it's plain logo+transparency and not logo+a bit of the background, cause with different browsers the background does not center the same way and therefore it's impossible to have it working for all. I have to change it so that it's not browser dependent. Still, the way iPhone safari loads the background is odd...

Ok for "click" and "recommend" :) Any english/american people to check my grammar and stuff ?

@Shadow_walker : Aha yeah the image is 1680 wide, you are one of those 6% (from the statistics website I checked) who have a bigger screen :) I will put the background in black and maybe adapt a bit the Left/Right extremities of the background image so that it makes a smooth transition to black. I cannot do a bigger image, it's already long to load.

Nice design. Not sure about the "clients: be the first one"... Not very encouraging... Can't you just lie and say you had some before? lol
It's a pity the player doesn't remain when you switch pages, means you can't listen to your work while browsing your website.

Considering you mention you don't really know many web design techniques, you did pretty well. If you ever need a hand though dude, I'd be happy to help :) web design is slowly becoming my main work aspect haha. It is being a bit gay on my iPhone, I'll check on my pc when I get the net back

Ahaha yeah Brett I think you are right. I should put fake names :lol: I will work a bit more on the first page since there is less to tell than on the second one. Fact is that I have done a few things but nothing to tell the world about. I should stop playing the geek and record actual music sometimes :) Agreed for the player but since this is pure html I'm not sure how to make it work another way. I was considering to put all in the same page at first. I think it is still better this way, no ? Also, I remember it is possible to split a page in 2, and just refresh one of them (the first one being the top part/header, the second one the actual site) which would maybe work and then , moving the player could work.

I think I got it working excepted for iPhone, I have put the top images in PNG transparent images which works well, and it should work everywhere now. The only thing is that background image in iPhone. Can any android guy tell me how it looks ?

@Melb_shredder : well I will consider that then :) I might need in the future a bit more dynamic things, but still this wouldn't be too complicated since the main goal of such a website is not to live by itself a lot.