My Windows Media Player has Related Albums listed for Kayo Dot now

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
Isis: Oceanic (which I have with me today)
Sigur Ros: ( ) (likewise)
Mogwai: Happy Songs for Happy People
Akercocke: Choronzon

interesting also that Jake's indieworkshop review of CotE mentioned more than one of those bands as "sounds like".

I have always heard great things said about Ackercocke, about how they're really new and interesting death/black metal. But I have always stopped short of checking them out because I have a feeling that it won't sound special at all. Stupid metal magazines +labels + ads have shot their scene's bands in the foot by claiming EVERYTHING is superlative and innovative that you just can't pay attention to claims like that anymore.

Peaceville puts out some good, interesting stuff. I haven't heard Ackercocke, but they're definitely in good company on the label: Katatonia, Beyond Dawn, Thine, etc.

FuSoYa said:
I have always heard great things said about Ackercocke, about how they're really new and interesting death/black metal. But I have always stopped short of checking them out because I have a feeling that it won't sound special at all. Stupid metal magazines +labels + ads have shot their scene's bands in the foot by claiming EVERYTHING is superlative and innovative that you just can't pay attention to claims like that anymore.
Yeah agreed. I guess I'll check them out though.

I have heard a bit of ackercocke... mabye I wasnt paying attention but it seemed like crappy death metal to me. I could be wrong though.

I had an mp3 of a song off their new album, but I deleted it, so I don't remember much about it.
I didn't like it.
It was kind of unique I guess...but I just couldn't get into it.

Akercocke is not so great, I don't recommend it. Pretty low-fi death-black with not much imagination other than the few little guitar interludes (which are totally out of place, basically stopping the flow of the songs) that somewhat makes them different. Not exactly Cynic....

mindspell said:
Akercocke is not so great, I don't recommend it. Pretty low-fi death-black with not much imagination other than the few little guitar interludes (which are totally out of place, basically stopping the flow of the songs) that somewhat makes them different. Not exactly Cynic....

I thought they had "progressed" or something, and now they're supposed to be interesting.
The allmusic.com review makes the new album sound like it's fairly exciting.
But like I said, the one song I've heard by them wasn't too good.

I think there's about 1.3 seconds on CotE that sound anything remotely like Akercocke.

CotE is the better for it.