My XXX Tone- Need Some Ears....

Hello,
cool playing. I suggest you back off the gain a bit. It's to fuzzy. Back off the trebble a notch.Back off the Mids a notch and increase the bass a notch.

Half steps are good to. But the gain is way to high. I think with a few small tweaks, your tone could be awesome. Your close.

Dan

Wolfeman said:
Thought you guys might like to see the iso box... Pretty beefy. It's a bitch and a half to move.

ISOrig.jpg
dude, you're my fucking HERO. do I know you from IRC or something? \m/

wolfy - on the inside of your iso cabinet, how much space is there in between the grille cloth and the wall of the outer cab parallel to the grille cloth? I've noticed that I get nasty reflections if that distance is too shallow.

ok man this took me like an hour to do at work so I hope it's helpful. and I only have MS Paint at my disposal, so the quality is uhm....a little rough.

but here's what I'm thinking. you might have some standing waves building up in the close proximity of a wall to your speaker. even with padding like arualex sometimes there's not enough distance for the sound to diffuse, so it'll reflect back and interfere with what you're trying to capture with the mic.

if it's possible to rotate your cab much how was done in my eloquent example here, that could potentially help.

or it might be a huge waste of time.

sorry :(

mic'ing speakers kind of sucks balls I'm realizing.

anyway here you go:

happywolfman.jpg

Wolfeman, I will forever be in your debt if you could fill me in on how you built that iso box. Materials, dimensions, etc. etc.

I've seen ones exactly like yours, but for like $800. I'd much rather build one myself and save some coin.

stringyo said:
Wolfeman, I will forever be in your debt if you could fill me in on how you built that iso box. Materials, dimensions, etc. etc.

I've seen ones exactly like yours, but for like $800. I'd much rather build one myself and save some coin.

Nothing special, I just used 3/4 MDF, height and width are just a few inches bigger than the cab, and for the depth you can do what you want, depending on how far back you want to place the mics. I used some standard fastners to tighten it up, going into insert nuts in the opposing peice. This allows it to be taken apart easily without destroying the wood. I lined the inside with carpet and then put that eggcrate looking foam matress pad over it. If you want it to be very quiet, I would go with some high quaility sound proofing shit. Total cost was only about $100. Home depot cut teh wood too so all i really did was have to drill. took like 2 hours to finish. Yeah that $800 stuff is crazy. I'm about to start building them and selling them to save people money.

Carrier Flux said:
ok man this took me like an hour to do at work so I hope it's helpful. and I only have MS Paint at my disposal, so the quality is uhm....a little rough.

but here's what I'm thinking. you might have some standing waves building up in the close proximity of a wall to your speaker. even with padding like arualex sometimes there's not enough distance for the sound to diffuse, so it'll reflect back and interfere with what you're trying to capture with the mic.

if it's possible to rotate your cab much how was done in my eloquent example here, that could potentially help.

or it might be a huge waste of time.

sorry :(

mic'ing speakers kind of sucks balls I'm realizing.

anyway here you go:

happywolfman.jpg

Yeah I'm starting to think the cab is to close too the wall. I was actually about to do what you had mentioned, but it will be a while now since my girlfriend decided to kick me out last night and all my shit is apart. If moving the cab around doesnt work, I'm going to make the sides bigger.

Wolfeman said:
Yeah I'm starting to think the cab is to close too the wall. I was actually about to do what you had mentioned, but it will be a while now since my girlfriend decided to kick me out last night and all my shit is apart. If moving the cab around doesnt work, I'm going to make the sides bigger.
damn man sorry to hear about the girl. the bright side is that once you get your stuff situated you'll have more time to make metal!