n00b needs help... ha ha.

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
OK, So I've been recording forever, but I have just really started to get into it in the last, oh... 18 months...

I just started reading the invaluable info on this forum early last week... I must've read just about everything on it... not sure how much stuck, though.

Anyway... Here's a mix I'm doing for a band... They had shit equipment, wouldn't use any amps other than their Randall Solid State amps... wouldn't let me change their settings to anything other than a buzz saw.

Drummer had a drumset that looked as though it fell out of his truck on the way over to the studio... about 20 times...

"Singer" never recorded before in his life and wanted to cup my NT2 to scream into it...

The bassist, remarkably, was the only one that has his sh*t together and flew through it with one practice take and did another one just in case. (ended up keeping the first one)

anyway... prepare to laugh.

and If anyone has any advice, please and thank you?

MIX1
http://www.blugargoyl.com/Studios/Evolutions_End_FINAL.mp3

MIX2
http://blugargoyl.com/Studios/Evolutions_End_FINAL_2.mp3

oh... and my equipment...

Pentium4, 3ghz, 2gigRAM, PT LE 7.1, 002, PreSonus DigiMaxLT, DBX 1066, Rode NT2, GT66, 57's, Beta52, MXL 990 overs...

Then theres the Waves Diamond plugs, SSL plugs, Ampeg SVX, TRacks and many many others...

the overall sound is good, I don't like the guitar sound....and the snare...but sound good!!

Yeah, this guy didn't want to space anything out, he played in a 5x5 space... weird...

there was sooo much bleed from... well... everything on the snare track... gating it didnt work... compressing it too much bring cymbals into it... just... meh.

Guitars... buzz saws...

Thanks... I'm working out some other issues with it...

if anyone were able to help me "un buzz" the guitars, that would rock. I could send you the files in a flash. Or let me know what Freqs to chop out?

similiar thing happened to me 2 weeks ago, the fucking guitarist didn't bring his cabinet, he said I told him not to (those words would never come out of my mouth), so i was stuck with a fizzy guitar direct in tone. I used the vintagewarmer and was able to eq the fuzz out and ended up sounding pretty decent (myspace.com/mortuusdeathgrind). basically compression,eq, and for me a tape sim worked pretty well. good luck

by the way I hate those types of fucking bands that think they know it all when they come to MY studio, it really pisses me off, its like do you spend most of your time reading forums and books and mixing shit? didnt think so, so shut the fuck up and let me do it my way, ha.

As far as the snare bleed, have you thought of completely replacing the snare with a sample? I wouldn't normally suggest replacing the snare completely, but in this case it sounds like it could really help you.

As far as the mixes in general, the drums sound way too loud. I prefer the first mix, in the second one the drums sound like they're recorded in a chasm lol.

Ah, I must've forgotten to bring down the verb... the very first mix i did for them, before i put any up here, i put some reverb on it because they thought the drums sounded too dry.

completely replacing the snare... i haven't found a snare sound that I like enough to replace with theirs... besides... there is a fair amount of snare in the overs. that and its a piccolo, p.o.s.

Thanks.

well, that bassist has his act together for sure. also some nice tone. i think i would prefer a bit more grind on it, but all that nasty guitar buzz would get in the way. i think the vox are too loud as well, but it sounds like you're doing well with crap material.

Ah, I must've forgotten to bring down the verb... the very first mix i did for them, before i put any up here, i put some reverb on it because they thought the drums sounded too dry.

completely replacing the snare... i haven't found a snare sound that I like enough to replace with theirs... besides... there is a fair amount of snare in the overs. that and its a piccolo, p.o.s.

Thanks.

Yeah the first mix is dry, fair enough on the snare, we all have different tastes as far as drum tone, maybe you could get the drummer back with just the snare drum and sample a few nice hits it to replace it with. And for future reference, piccolo snares are actually really nice (see Machine Head's Through The Ashes Of Empires album).

And for future reference, piccolo snares are actually really nice (see Machine Head's Through The Ashes Of Empires album).

Not when the drummer doesn't know its not in tune, despite me telling him, "Your drums aren't tuned.":Smug:

I dunno... I think I'm done with it... you can only kick a dead horse for so long...

That and I did this for them for free... next time they come back (if they do) it's going to cost them.

Not when the drummer doesn't know its not in tune, despite me telling him, "Your drums aren't tuned.":Smug:

I dunno... I think I'm done with it... you can only kick a dead horse for so long...

That and I did this for them for free... next time they come back (if they do) it's going to cost them.

Fair enough man, was just letting you know they can sound good hehe :headbang: Well done with the mix anyway.

Dude, you're gonna have to tell them...

If you wanna make it in the music world, sounding like shit and making it hard for the person who's job it is to make you sound good will NOT get you there.

that and it sound spretty damned good... I actually like the tone... but it is a bit low, bring it up and i'll confirm or disprove my belief! hahah