n00b question: Multiband compression

Fox Mulder

The Truth Is Out There
Jan 22, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hell-O people,
I'm a little lazy right now to check if this has been discussed here before. But anyways... I've been using multiband compressors all the while without really knowing what I should be aiming for. I just tend to tweak till the mix sounds good. I'd really appreciate a deeper explanation of how I should apply multiband compression. The fundamentals, if there are any, simply speaking. Okay, the gain reduction factor should be easy to deal with. I believe that's not much of a problem for me to comprehend. But what I'm really bothered about are the attack/release settings in a multiband comp which I'm pretty blank about.

Cheers!:)

Are you talking about the usage of attack/release in compression in general (as in SINGLE BAND compression) or do you just want to know stuff about MULTIBAND-compression? Are you using the compressor on a buss or on single tracks?
If you are not that familiar with all the parameters, rules and effects of compression in general, I would recommend to keep away from multiband-compression until you mastered the single-band compression topic.

I interpreted your first post as if you need some advice regarding compression in general, but I have been wrong. Multiband-compression is nothing I can give you very much information about, because I usually stay away from it 'coz it does not work for me. Anybody else?

I tend to approach multiband compression as I do normal compression - but focused on certain frequency ranges. However, I wont even touch multiband compression without hearing the need for it. Normally, its the lows and low mids being a bit loose - in which case, I use the C4 to isolate it and compress it to sound better.
Dunno if this will help you at all but this is how I deal with multiband compression.

There's certain times when an EQ does not do what you want. for example the bass guitar has one note that stands out way too much at 150Hz for example. EQing out 150Hz makes the whole bass track sound shittier, so in that case you'd turn to a frequency dependent compressor (aka a single band of a multiband compressor) and set a band to attenuate that one weird note just when it plays.

Recently I realized I didn't have ANY multiband compressors in my plugin library so I posted for free suggestions on KVR. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246906

There's certain times when an EQ does not do what you want. for example the bass guitar has one note that stands out way too much at 150Hz for example. EQing out 150Hz makes the whole bass track sound shittier, so in that case you'd turn to a frequency dependent compressor (aka a single band of a multiband compressor) and set a band to attenuate that one weird note just when it plays.

Recently I realized I didn't have ANY multiband compressors in my plugin library so I posted for free suggestions on KVR. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246906

+1