N00bie query for the good peoples.

Static

Manically depressed robot
May 5, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
Hello, I have a retardly easy (hopefully) question for you guys.

I've been using Cakewalk Homestudio 2002 and unfortunately it doesn't support direct USB PODxt-ing, so for the time being I've switched to Cooledit.

Now the USB injection is up and running however I still have one concern. The sound volume when I record is far too quiet and when I turn up the PODxt a shedload it's still too quiet, and I have to suffer extreme volume on my headphones at the same time.

Any easy way of bringing up the core recording level to something good without having it far too loud on the PODxt and without sacrificing that direct digital injection?

If all else fails I could just boost the samples a shitload, however that would lead to sacrificing sound quality, wouldn't it? I read that it is best to record the guitars at a solid near 0 db level. Get it the loudest and clearest you can in the first place.

Should be reasonably n00bish question hopefully.

That's not true, you don't need to hit the record levels that hard. In the early days of digital that was true but with modern converters you don't lose resolution at lower volumes.
0db VU is about -12 in digital. Track everything sitting around that level and you'll be fine

Really...so if I take these pretty quiet signals and just boost them like...uhh 12db or something (I'd have to), I really wouldn't be stretching out any of the sound?

Is that the way most of you guys record your PODxts?

Something doesn't sound right.... My POD sits right at 0db on the DAW meters. Do you have the volume control turned up on the specific patch you are using? IE on my 5150 patch I always use, my volume sits at 82, which keeps it right under clipping in the pod, and it has teh exact same volume in the DAW, right under clipping...

Oh and do you have the most recent drivers?

Right, another question here.

I've just started using Cooledit and I want to put a waves L2 over the entire track. In Cakewalk you go into the console, lay one down, and hey presto it's done.

Here, there seems to be no option for adding effects to the master track/over the whole shabang. How do you do it!?

This should be a simple thing to do but I can't find any clear instructions.

That's loud as shit isn't it? If you plugged in headphones would it blow your ears off?

Yeah, I've got the latest version.

The volume coming out of the headphones is controled by the PODxt's output control, which is indifferent from the volume that is being sent through the USB... So no, it wouldn't blow your ears off...

if you open the usb control panel for the podxt there is a record send level, and there should be a +16db boost. look for that.

I've managed to sort out the problem with the PODxt, just the new problem is an inability to find how the hell to put FX on the master with Cooledit.

By audio interface you mean soundcard? I've got a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum.