NAD - Best $200 spent

wishtheend

clip the apex
Dec 29, 2005
SL, UT
There's an auction company that I think gets inventory from shippers when there is damage, or maybe the manufacture directly not 100% sure but music gear shows up all the time amongst other home electronics/appliances. I've picked up some cabs and little things along the way, but this was the steal of all steals.

There was an amp crowded by some other gear so I couldn't see any name/logo but could tell it was out of it's headshell, so it was just the exposed chassis. I could see a number of preamp, power tubes and just figured I'd try to get it dirt cheap and if nothing have a little amp to fuck around with for fun. The auction started, and I snagged it for $100 USD.

Turns out this is what I won.
A Matchless Avalon 35
4eb06ff8a6e911e3994a12b6cd46c541_8.jpg

3112a8bca6e911e394e312cc6335db0c_8.jpg

I saw part of the Avalon name right when the auction began but didn't recognize it and didn't have time to search online before hand but once I looked on the back and saw Matchless I about shit. I took it to a local guitar shop, turned out one of the preamp tubes was shattered in the socket but the guy fixed it right up and retubed it for about $100.

Now I got to figure out a head to put it in. I called Matchless but they want me to send it back to them and think I could probably find a cheaper option.

Any local carpenter or cabinetry place could probably do a one-off dirt cheap with some cool looking wood, or you could have them rough-up a headshell with plywood and tolex it yourself. That or there are a number of custom head-shell builders online. I'm really surprised matchless won't sell you one! That's an insane steal though, well done man.