Name an album or new group that..

Cheiron said:
In the last 3 years, will be still listened to and considered a classic in 15-20 years. (metal only for this thread).
These metal discs (which have been released in the last 3 years) will most likely still be in heavy rotation for my own listening:

Dol Ammad - Star Tales
Tim Donahue - Madmen & Sinners
Pantommind - Shade of Fate
Redemption - The Fullness of Time
Seventh Wonder - Waiting In The Wings
Shadow Gallery - Room V
Vanden Plas - Christ0
Within Temptation - The Silent Force

Joe

Joe-&#215 said:
I think this is bunk.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Joe-&#215 said:
There's no correlation whatsoever between "classic" and "popular."
So then a CD can be a classic if it sells only one copy?
Joe-&#215 said:
In the language of metal, a personal favorite that has been a favorite for a long period of time is a classic.
What the original poster asked was:
Cheiron said:
...in 15-20 years people will be saying, 'yeah they defined a genre' or 'one of the greatest albums ever.'
So while you may define the word "classic" anyway you see fit, your personal definitions don't fit with what the original poster actually asked.

Zod

I have to agree with General Zod. I think most of you are missing the point. What will be considered a classic down the lines by others. What everyone here is posting doesn't even come close to those standards. It's just not all about what you like. If that was the case everyone's favorite band would be on the list.

General Zod said:
So then a CD can be a classic if it sells only one copy?
Zod

Apparently if it's been heard and favored by a true individual who uses it for strength as he rejects the masses, yes.

mloanna said:
Evergrey - Monday Morning A.

I'd like to agree! :)

But IMHO, it's Nightwish. With their blend of opera, movie soundtrack and metal I think they created a whole new genre, with many bands trying to follow their footsteps or at least being influenced by them in one way or another.
Their most remarkable album? "Once", I guess. Although I like "Century Child" just as much.
While at the same time I'm of course hoping that the "milestone" of their career is yet to follow...
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Iced Ray said:
I think many people will look back at Angra's Temple of Shadows and realize that it was a power metal masterpiece and kick themselves in the ass for not acknowledging it sooner.

Angra: I agree with that. I'm going to say Angra's old line up (my favorite line up) with Angels Cry (set a new high in musicianship and originality), Holy Land because it authentically incorporated brazillian+ other exotic influences in a balanced + fresh way, before Temple of Shadows did, and many other styles in a progressive and powerful way that no one had done before. Temple of Shadows is amazing. I consider them all masterpieces.

Circus Maximus: The 1st Chapter. Unbelievable not only for a 1st album, but I think it sets a really high standard for the genre in every respect. They have some of the highest skills I've seen, that rival Dream Theatre, but I think definitely beat DT in terms of composition and coherence.

Nightwish: for the reasons given..

Rhapsody: For similar reasons but for power metal.

Into Eternity: So unique and original..they're somehow creating their own style..hard to categorize I think.

Symphony X: I think they're considered classic now, if not they should be.

sarawi said:
I'd like to agree! :)

But IMHO, it's Nightwish. With their blend of opera, movie soundtrack and metal I think they created a whole new genre, with many bands trying to follow their footsteps or at least being influenced by them in one way or another.
Their most remarkable album? "Once", I guess. Although I like "Century Child" just as much.
While at the same time I'm of course hoping that the "milestone" of their career is yet to follow...

Argh, Once and Century Child? I thought your opinions were identical to mine? :p Anyone else want to join me in saying that Once was really weak? I'd have to go with Oceanborn for the 'definition' of Nightwish, and I agree, they are on their way to becoming a classic band.

General Zod said:
None. When I think of classics, I think of "Operation: Mindcrime", "Ride the Lightning", "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", etc. Has there been a disc released in the last three years, that I think will one day stand along side those releases in terms of quality, originality and popularity? No. Not a single one.Zod

Zod has provided the only realistic answer to this. Mindcrime, Ride the Lightning and 7thSoa7thS achieved worldwide acknowledgement. If you don't know them, you've at least heard of them. They aren't personal favorites, they're universal favorites.

It's like seeing someone get kicked in the nuts. Now THAT is always classic. On the other hand, some stupid inside joke that only you and your friends understand and think is classic, is most certainly NOT classic. I believe all the previous suggestions fall into the latter category.

Breakin the rules a bit here on the 3 yrs thing but the closest thing I can think of to even get mentioned would be DT - SFAM.

In the last 3 years, I can't think of any releases that would even come close to being "classic" in the sense that everyone will definitely remember them or they would set the standard for a genre. 1st Chapter from CM has been mentioned but really they haven't done anything different than a number of other prog metal bands. It's a great debut with very good musicianship & composition, but nothing groundbreaking.
I personally could chime in with Dream Theater's Train of Thought...especially with it being the heaviest release to date by them. And of course everyone knows that DT is an influence to virtually every band in the prog metal genre...even CM. Images & Words is without a doubt a "classic". Possibly ToT would be remembered as DT's heaviest cd thus making it a "classic". Unless DT releases something heavier of course :headbang:

rockyracoon said:
Zod has provided the only realistic answer to this. Mindcrime, Ride the Lightning and 7thSoa7thS achieved worldwide acknowledgement. If you don't know them, you've at least heard of them. They aren't personal favorites, they're universal favorites.
I'm not sure that I'd call them all universal favorites? Most Iron Maiden fans older than 35 that I know consider 7th Son to be a last gasp. It's a consider step down from their earlier catalog (except for maybe SiT) Even Martin Popoff says "this album sucks, sort of" and rates it a 5.

Entrerie said:
I did not say it was better then Better then Raw or Time of the Oath, Time of the Oath is my all time favorite Helloween album. I also do not think Keeper 3 is their weakest album from their catalog, that statement is just so not right, after The Dark Ride and Rabbit Don't Come Easy, I think Keeper 3 is a sigh of relief....

The Dark Ride is waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better than Keeper 3. I wish they stuck with that style.

Entrerie said:
*EDIT #2* Name a bad song on the Keeper 3 album that you don't like excluding "Light the Universe"? You are saying King for 1000 years is bad, Born on Judgement Day, Silent Rain,etc. are all bad songs?

Uh, Mrs. God, anyone?

Entrerie said:
Sorry, I just get worked up when a band like Helloween gets dissed, they practically invented power metal.

I love Helloween myself but the last 2 albums (while they did have some good songs here and there) were relatively weak.

I strongly believe that Opeth's "Ghost Reveries," Riverside's "Second Life Syndrome," and Ayreon's "The Human Equation" will be considered classics of the "oughts" by fans of heavier prog for years to come.

NP: The Aurora Project "Words Unspoken"

Magius said:
Apparently if it's been heard and favored by a true individual who uses it for strength as he rejects the masses, yes.
How "true" an individual is, has little bearing on whether a CD is "classic". By its very definition, "classic" goes beyond the perception of a single person.

Zod

Braxil said:
Argh, Once and Century Child? I thought your opinions were identical to mine? :p Anyone else want to join me in saying that Once was really weak? I'd have to go with Oceanborn for the 'definition' of Nightwish, and I agree, they are on their way to becoming a classic band.

could be you're right about Oceanborn, judging from an objective point of view.
For my personal taste, however, Nightwish did great songs, but were just "too beautiful" while Tarja was their only singer. :saint:

To me, their music became passionate and "complete" somehow
only when Marco joined the band. Which wasn't before Century Child and Once.
Wish it had been earlier!