Name this genre + Keytar wanking

nezvers

Beast
Oct 5, 2010
Latvia, Riga
I'm doing all for this guys project track - from recording and helping with producing to "mastering", but now I'm tired after 24h shift at work but want to complete this track sooner as possible. For moment I can't really tell which instrument should be lowered in mix and seems like I can't hit right master comp/limiter sound like some snare hits are ducking mix a little (but hearing that when referencing on laptop speakers).

I can't tell what genre it could be, this guy like to experiment with ideas and sounds, also because he is Dream Theater fan he wanted me to find nice Keytar synth sound and write some wanking on solo part.

So please RATE song overall and mix/"master" too.
World Of Dust - Some Kind Of Fate

Well for the "keytar synth sound" he will probably want to use a plug in like NI massive or something. Jordan Rudess from dream theater uses a Roland V-synth for that sound but im assuming you dont have one of those laying around. Massive should have something similar that you can tweak to your/his liking.

As for the mix, um the vocals need work I think. Snare is a little to high in the mix. Guitars sound fine if thats the tone he is going for I guess.

If I were to rate the song itself? Keyboard parts are cool. Guitar parts too. Vocals though :S I just might not be feeling it but feel like its not working the rest of the song at all. Or might be just the vocalist.

Genre? I was going to say power metal until I heard the vocals. But with that kind of vocals im not sure. maybe still power metal?

Just my 2 cents!

Well for synth sound he already liked, he wanted something a bit original and kinda similar to Infected Mushrooms - Heavy weight keytar (I know that's just synth but that's how I call guitar imitating synths) solos. He wanted sound have some variation on it so I used little amount formant filter + chorus/flanger effect forthat purpose.

I'll take a look on vocals (noticed I need some automation in some places too) than and watch snare.

So you are guessing it's power metal... than probably his Manowar influence plays a role there too.

Dude, for me that means more than 2 cents. ;)