Symphonic Metal + Melodeath + "Djent". First time I try to do something like this.

Erik Monsonis

Nov 18, 2006
Mexico City
www.darkhouseaudio.com
Hey all!!

This time I tried to mix all the elements I like in the music I listen to nowadays... I know you can't have it all! But I tried some approach. So it ended being a watered down version of everyting :D

You can hear this forum influence in this song (some TGM influence, bulb, onqel...) and lots more outside it.

The settings for everything are these.
I "mastered" it right after mixing, and almost 00:00am so my ears are far from fresh (in addition, I slept 3h today and had an exam :erk:), so they may be some major issues in the mix/master. I'd really like to know any if you hear them.

EDIT:

Updated mix/master: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/425433/tema3 master.mp3 (I mastered it 1db quieter as the Waves L2 was eating snare)
Guitar settings: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/425433/settings.jpg

EDIT2:
New kick/snare samples replacing: Check this thread!
Punchier sound IMO.

I really hope you guys like it!!
Best wishes.
-Erik

Fucking awesome dude, LOVE that guitar tone (sooo middy, hello boner!) - piano is too loud IMO, and I feel the guitars could come up a bit. Dig the drums, though I feel the snare could be a wee bit louder. That's about it, rock on!

Oh, and if this groovy break at like 2:28 is what you call djent, I'm happy to say that it's not - it's better! :D Not a big djent fan here, too spastic (and more importantly done to death) IMO

Hmm, though I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the riff right before the last chorus in the end (starting at 3:32); too atonal and kinda jarringly out of place for me.

The only real suggestion I have:

Lower piano volume or add more reverb. i am leaning towards more reverb. This is only during the the part before the guitars come back in. I think it would be much better that way

Very cool tune and mix though.

This is by far the most shittiest song i´ve ever heard...

actually i was listening to one of my songs...
so now i will turn off the light
go to a corner of my room
cover myself with a blanket
and cry....

P.S: Awesome song

Kick ass. All the main elements sound pretty good to me. Love that part with the artificial harmonics. I love creative usage of artificial harmonics like that. As others have said, some of the piano parts seem a bit loud and could benefit from being "glued" into the rest of the mix a bit more, but I'm sure thats a side effect of ear fatigue and trying to finish something so late in the night. Fresh ears in a new session will help. Good job though!

Thank you very much for the comments. Now I go to sleep (I REALLY need it, after being working nonstop on this song more than 10 hours today...).
Will mix it again tomorrow and upload it again ;)

Now I know what i need to do basically, thanks so much!! :D

That makes me suffer so hard .... :lol::zombie:

I mean ...how old are you? 19? Man ...I'm 30 and I've spent half a life to get somwhere near to the standards you create with ease.

I love your music. Modern, brutal, melodic, tight, catchy ...this is the real deal.

Fuckin hell Erik, that's enough allready!
you churn out way too much great songs and mixes man.. Love this tune as well!

I LOVE lyrical/musical balance in songs. So many diverse elements to make an overall great musical picture. Heavy djent guitars, gliding strings, classical defining piano, br00tal drumming, etc.

Just as some tubular bells to the percussion and you've got yourself a friggin' masterpiece.

Cool tune, it takes my favorite part of Dimmu Borgir.. the theatrical sounding orchestral parts.. and couples it with some solid riffing. Very nice stuff.

Oh, and if this groovy break at like 2:28 is what you call djent, I'm happy to say that it's not - it's better! :D Not a big djent fan here, too spastic (and more importantly done to death) IMO

sigh

That piano part is awesome
the bass tone is FUCKING great
the synth are just perfect
the riff at 2:30 is Br00tal

Can i be you?